Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Health & Fitness Forum Health & Fitness Forum

Topic: Gastric sleeve, bypass, lap-band

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
BostonBooks avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: Gastric sleeve, bypass, lap-band
Date Posted: 1/3/2014 11:55 PM ET

Hi, im going for the gastric sleeve and im looking for pals that we can keep in touch about the surgery.

all i need to do know is lose 3 lbs and then set up a surgery date.  I been at this for 8wks or a little over.

anyone here is getting any of the above surgery done.

charoo avatar
Subject: lap band
Date Posted: 10/27/2015 9:04 AM ET

I have the lap band and I really, really want the sleeve, but my insurance will not cover it.  My insurance specifically includes anything related to bariatrics!  I would do self pay, but it is a little tight right now.  I hope all goes (went) well for you and I would love to hear your thoughts on life after the sleeve!

Charlene

miamirn avatar
Limited Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 10/29/2015 12:57 AM ET

Boston,

There are tons of members on SparkPeople or MyFitnessPal that have had bariatric surgery. And the sites are free. I belong to SparkPeople. They have forums devoted to that. The site is very uplifting and supportive. Try it!

Charlene,

Insurance companies are always trying to get out of paying for things. The trick is to beat them at their game. Call the adjuster at the insurance company and ask him/her what the doctor needs to write for you to get the surgery. I've done it so I know! Or you can go to your surgeons office and tell them the problem. Find out the insurances criteria for getting the surgery. Perhaps you don't fit the criteria? I don't know. When you find out from the insurance adjuster and or office billing clerk ask the doctor to write what he or she needs to write so you can get the surgery covered. Worth a try. Good luck!