German Fiction and Poetry Author:Peter Heller and Edith Ehrlich, editors From Germany has come one of the world's most vigorous literatures. Even on the fundamental level of fable and folk tale, it is writing of excellence-writing that for centuries has exercised a profound influence on world literature, criticism, and philosophy. — [The book] introduces intermediate-level students to the variety and range of German w... more »riting from the 18th century to the present. It includes a careful selection of fables, short stories, poetry, and one complete novel-Mann's "Tonio Kroger."
The Parts (each chronologically arranged):
* Fabeln and Marchen
* Erzahlungen and Episoden
* Tonio Kroger
* Gedichte (an anthology of poetry that forms a self- contained unit)
The structure of the 1st 3 parts enables the student to proceed from relatively simple readings to more complex ones. The less difficult poems can be read in conjunction with selections in Parts I & II.
* Short introductory passages about each writer & his work
* Extensive end vocabulary-containing all German words appearing in the text, with the exception of articles, pronouns, and numbers
* Vocabulary items & explanations in footnotes
* Vocabulary lists for active command
* Questions to be answered both orally & in writing
Dr. Peter Heller & Mrs. Edith Ehrlich are in the Dept. of German & Russan at The University of Massachusetts.
Great for age. Paper jacket has a little edgewear. Not yellowing.« less