Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Hidden Gems Hidden Gems

Topic: "The Girl on the Train"

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
nysbikergirl avatar
Limited Member medal
Subject: "The Girl on the Train"
Date Posted: 9/27/2016 8:36 AM ET

Has anyone else read this book?  Opinion?  It looks to me on here and on Goodreads.com, that many disliked it, thinking it to be boring and simple.  I disagree.  I LOVED this book, and just saw the movie trailer for it.  As always, the movie probably will not touch the depth and satisfaction of reading the book, but I must say the trailer looked very compelling and true to the story line.  Will anyone else be watching this movie?

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 9/27/2016 9:00 AM ET

I have the book in a pile but have not read it yet. I have seen so many negative reviews I have been wondering if I will read it.

nysbikergirl avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 9/27/2016 9:33 AM ET

Charles-I think it's a love it, or hate it kind of read.  I felt it was true to form for a physiological thriller, full of twists and turns, but had some mundane subject matter.  THAT did not bother me at all, I enjoyed the flow.  It is slightly reminiscent of an Alfred Hitchcock feel.  If you read it, please give your opinion.  I did do a review on it.

Bonnie avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 10/4/2016 3:49 PM ET

I didn't realize so many didn't like it as out of everyone I know who read it loved it, except for me.  Though I didn't care for it, I would never have called it simple or boring...but more like a train wreck of humanity along the lines of Gillian Flynn's books.  Off to check out the trailer, even so.

ETA: It is slightly reminiscent of an Alfred Hitchcock feel.   Now, this I agree with very much.

Last Edited on: 10/4/16 3:51 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
frenchiemama avatar
Date Posted: 11/4/2016 12:23 AM ET

I loved this book, and hope to enjoy the movie.

eloisem avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 11/4/2016 1:07 PM ET

I also love the book, but I am alwys so disappointed when I see the movies, so I'll skip.

bookbuggg avatar
Standard Member medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medal
Date Posted: 12/22/2016 11:31 AM ET

I didn't care for it. I like to root for a character and there was no one likeable in this book. That being said, it wasn't bad, I just don't care for books that are like this. I felt the same about Gone Girl. The mystery is good but there aren't any characters to root for; you dislike them all.

deb3009 avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal
Date Posted: 1/14/2017 3:32 PM ET

I also didn't care for it.

The fifth grade teacher at school had it recommended to her, and when she was done she came into my library and asked me if I had read it. I said Yes! Then she asked me if she was the only person who didn't like it and I laughed and said No!

maysied avatar
Date Posted: 1/16/2017 12:00 PM ET

I saw the movie, and although I hadn't read the book - I was left flat as a pancake at the end.  Who is Megan?  I never understood the movie.  Maybe I need to watch it again.  I had read The Girl With all the Gifts (audio), and the movie was excellent.  What a nice twist in the end. 

Judyed

maysied avatar
Date Posted: 1/22/2017 1:56 PM ET

Well, I had the kids over to watch this movie again with me.  Jimmy (SIL) is a wiz at figuring out "who done it."  We talked through the movie, and they agreed that it a very confusing movie.  We didn't like the way it jumped from 6 mon. ago, to today, to one month ago, to 3 weeks ago, throughout the whole movie.  That made it difficult to follow.  I think we figured it out, and I am not watching it again...yuck!

Judye

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 1/27/2017 2:13 AM ET

I loved the book! It is a psychological thriller so it's not a travel journal. I thought the twist of the alchoholism was very well portrayed. Okay, it does not have lofty language and vocabulary but it is a psychological thriller. Tthat's how that genre works. It was gripping and I didn't see a few events ahead of time. Give it a whirl!

Last Edited on: 1/27/17 2:14 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 1/27/2017 9:53 PM ET

I liked it a little better than Gone Girl but that isn't saying much because I hated Gone Girl.

Generic Profile avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 1/29/2017 9:28 PM ET

I got Girl on the Train book as a gift during the holiday and have not read it yet but will very soon.  I did not see the movie.

I did not care for the book Gone Girl but like the movie slight better. 

thameslink avatar
Friend of PBS-Double Diamond medal
Date Posted: 2/1/2017 12:04 PM ET

I gave "Girl On A Train" my best shot but after 100 pages I gave up and posted my copy. To me it was boring, not gripping. It's obviously one of those books you love or loathe.

IlliniAlum83 avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal
Date Posted: 2/4/2017 10:09 AM ET

I loved the book and the movie. My bookclub ladies didn't like it, said it was hard to follow, but they think my career in MH and especially addictions made it a special topic to my liking.  I loved the mystery of it.