Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Glue

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
PhoenixFire avatar
Book Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medal
Subject: Glue
Date Posted: 4/11/2017 10:37 PM ET

I have a small part of a big book where maybe the cover wants to peel off 50 pages or so. It would be fine if I could Reglue it back to those pages. What is the best glue to make it stick? Elmers definitely didn't do it 

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 4/12/2017 3:42 AM ET

Library glue or whatever Libraries use.  You might have to order it online.  Google it and/or ask a library what they use, etc.

Alameda avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 4/12/2017 4:19 AM ET

I've repaired a few Hardbacks that were begining to come apart - I had tried using Elmers Glue, but found that the Gorilla Glue worked just fine - I used a couple of toohpicks to apply the glue - using a W (or M) shape when glueing the cover back on and just apply a very small amount if a section (seam) was begining to come apart. You only need a very little bit - after it's applied just set it aside with a small weight laying on top (I alsways put another book on top after proping the repaired part upright) - leave things alone for a day and checkout your handi-work the next day.

Good luck Jamie...

BlackPanther avatar
Standard Member medalTour Guide medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 4/12/2017 12:03 PM ET

I like Aleene's Tacky Glue. 

gingerkitty avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 4/12/2017 8:08 PM ET

Gorilla glue expands when used so use it sparingly.  I like Aleen's tacky glue myself.  I don't recall what we used in the library.  Some cool stuff in like a little paint can.  We used very slender wooden dowels to work it into the crevices of the book and down the hinges of a hardcover to firm them up.