Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Pets/Animals

Topic: grief over the loss of a pet

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
boygirlparty avatar
Subject: grief over the loss of a pet
Date Posted: 1/13/2012 5:03 PM ET

just a few days ago, my cat peechee - friend and companion of 14 years - passed away. i have been feeling distraught. my home feels very empty without him. 

can anyone recommend a good book to help heal my heart over the loss of my best friend? 

please, no religious books - and no more of that rainbow bridge poem people keep sending me. nothing against anyone's beliefs, but i'm just trying to come to terms with the emptiness in my home and the loss of my companion - nothing more.

Bookitty avatar
Date Posted: 1/15/2012 12:26 AM ET

I don't have a recommendation for you, but I just wanted to say that I understand what you are going through. My precious Kizmet died this morning, and I have never felt so lost. His little brother, Ben, is here with me and we are grieving together, so I don't have complete emptiness in the home, but there is a particular sense of loneliness. Kizmet was my best friend. He took care of me. I can't fathom him not being around. It just doesn't make sense.

I am wishing you peace and healing.

berd avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 1/20/2012 5:29 PM ET

I don't have any recommendations either but I am also sorry for your loss! sad

boygirlparty avatar
Date Posted: 2/2/2012 10:19 PM ET

i'm sorry you know what this feels like, ericka. wouldn't wish this on anyone. 

i read several books ("the loss of a pet" wallace sife & "goodbye friend" gary kowalski) and found them both helpful on some levels.

though they didn't change my grief, they did reaffirm choices i made (ie, to take time off work)

i am still really struggling with my loss.

Last Edited on: 2/2/12 10:19 PM ET - Total times edited: 1