Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Christmas(holiday) Memories

Topic: Grinchy Christmas

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Subject: Grinchy Christmas
Date Posted: 12/3/2008 8:50 AM ET

My favorite Christmas memory is the year Mom and Dad went way over the top with Dr. Suess.  The Grinch that Stole Christmas book was given by a favorite aunt as a family gift early in December.  I was ten and my brother was eight, and my sister was 2.  We were all delighted with the story and when Mom decorated that year, my brother and I made small signs and put them up next to every paper decoration Mom hung.  (This was in the 60's and Mom bought those poster board printed Santas, Angels and Christmas decorations at Woolworth's.)  Our signs were things like Ho Ho Ho, the grinch was here and Watch for the Grinch.  It was a lean year as we had just moved into a new home and Dad had just started a new job.  Mom and Dad took boxes and wrapped them and put them under the tree.  Inside the box was a note that said "The Grinch was here" followed by a clue as to where to look for a gift.  Most clues lead to another clue and you had 2-3 clues before you found the gift. The rule was you couldn't open the next gift until you found the first one.  It took us the better part of the day to locate all the gifts hidden all over the house.  Most were small things that didn't cost much, but the fun was in finding the present.  It didn't matter that it was mostly things we needed like socks and underwear.  It was a wonderful Christmas and was so much fun.

Generic Profile avatar
Subject: Cool!
Date Posted: 12/3/2008 7:01 PM ET

That is such a neat idea, whether it's for frugal times or not!

pinksparkleme avatar
Date Posted: 12/6/2008 11:10 PM ET

No kidding! We are having my nephews over and that would be a great game!