Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Need help with RC

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Subject: Need help with RC
Date Posted: 11/15/2009 6:22 AM ET
Member Since: 11/17/2005
Posts: 145
Back To Top

I've received a request for a book with RC that got me stumped. The RC states: "Due to medical allergies I cannot accept books that are from a "SMOKING" home.  Please do not send if either of this condition exists.  Thank you!"

Now we're not smokers so I'm ok with the first sentence but for the life of me I can't figure out what do they mean by "either of this condition exist".

Am I missing something?

Date Posted: 11/15/2009 6:25 AM ET
Member Since: 12/9/2007
Posts: 9,601
Back To Top

Now that's what I call a "vague" RC!!  Probably it is a RC that they edited and forgot to change the entire thing.  Might have been another requirement that they removed.  But I would decline with a note about why you are declining and put your nickname in so they can get back in touch with you ifthey want the book you have.

Ruth

Date Posted: 11/15/2009 7:55 AM ET
Member Since: 8/23/2007
Posts: 26,510
Back To Top

I'm with Ruth and that they had something else in there at some point.  My guess would be they had a "smell" condition in there and probably got turned down too many times. So they edited that out without taking out the 2nd part.

Date Posted: 11/15/2009 8:25 AM ET
Member Since: 8/17/2008
Posts: 674
Back To Top

If you have a non smoking book, I would accept and then send them a pm to make sure that is the only condition.  It would be too bad for them to miss the book and you to miss the credit because they didn't reword that sentence when they removed the other condition.

Date Posted: 11/15/2009 8:45 AM ET
Member Since: 8/23/2007
Posts: 26,510
Back To Top

I wouldn't PM unless you are prepared to cancel the transaction if they don't respond in time.  Then you'll lose your place in the FIFO line.  Or if it's WL it'll just offer it to them again if you repost it right away.  If you do PM you might want to put in the PM that you are going to mail it anyway if you don't hear from them by the mail by date.  If they do respond then you have to decide who should cancel. If it's WL then you should cancel so they don't lose their place in the WL line.  But it'll offer it to them again when you repost.  If it isn't WL they should cancel so you don't lose your place in the FIFO line.  (this is why I don't PM-my book is postable if I can't tell by your RCs if it meets them or not than your RCS aren't clear enough).



Last Edited on: 11/18/09 7:11 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
Date Posted: 11/18/2009 12:33 AM ET
Member Since: 11/17/2005
Posts: 145
Back To Top

Thank you all for the replies. I've decided to give the member the benefit of the doubt - I've accepted and PM-d her, if she doesn't answer by the deadline I'll cancel the book.