Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Hidden Gems Hidden Gems

Topic: Need Help With A Reading List

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Salix67 avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: Need Help With A Reading List
Date Posted: 1/20/2016 1:50 PM ET

I'm working on a 2016 reading list and I need nine more books to meet my goal (I'm reading one per week basically).  My theme for this year is books that will broaden my horizons or provide a perspective I haven't considered.  I've got books from Asian and African writers, some different religious books, some books on dealing with death/terminal illnesses, some sci-fi books told from a different perspective, etc.  But I'm still short nine.  Any recommendations?

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 1/20/2016 2:41 PM ET

The Dork of Cork by Chet Raymo. novel. the protaganist is a dwarf.

Would a book like Black Like Me work. I think the author is John Griffin but I'm not sure. It's been years since I read the book.

The Naked Ape by Desmond Morris. nonfiction. This one should shake you up.

The Natural Mind by Andrew Weil. nonfiction. One of the best books I have ever read.

The Loop by Joe Coomer. novel.

Salix67 avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 1/20/2016 4:01 PM ET

Added The Dork of Cork & Black Like Me.  Both look very interesting.

Not sure about The Loop.  Looks interesting, kind of like Willard & His Bowling Trophies.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 1/20/2016 4:11 PM ET

you'll like the Loop. It's short. My pbk has 201pp. a pretty decent love story besides.

Generic Profile avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 1/21/2016 8:49 AM ET
"Born On the Fourth of July" by Ron Kovic. Excellent book. He was paralyzed from the chest down during his tour in Vietnam.

"Last Wish" by Betty Rollin. Fabulous. Her mother's quality of life was finally gone from cancer and the treatments, and so she (Betty) made the painful decision to assist her mother's suicide.

"The Ugly American" by W.J. Lederer and E. Burdick. How the smallest things we--as individuals who represent the USA--do and say abroad are interpreted by other nations, for good and for bad. Very readable and eye-opening!

"A Circle of Children" by Mary McCracken. Wonderful book written by a teacher of special needs kids.

Last Edited on: 1/21/16 8:50 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
Salix67 avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 1/22/2016 12:57 PM ET

Thanks Stephanie!  I've heard of "The Ugly American", but never read it.  And I think I've seen the movie Born on the Fourth of July, which I believe was based off the book.

Generic Profile avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 1/23/2016 11:02 AM ET

For another science fiction told from a different perspective book, try Nalo Hopkinson's Brown Girl in the Ring. There's also a great 2-part memoir/biography about a young man growing up in China called Colors of the Mountain and Sounds of the River by Da Chen. I picked up the first while browsing in a thrift store and immediately ordered the second. Beautifully told story of a life.