Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Mystery & Thrillers

Topic: hey... It's August. what're you reading. Mystery and Thriller

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Subject: hey... It's August. what're you reading. Mystery and Thriller
Date Posted: 8/2/2018 11:34 AM ET
ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 8/2/2018 8:20 PM ET

I am reading Instrument of Slaughter by Edward Marston. Very good WWI mystery. If you enjoy historical mysterys he has several series and I enjoy all of them.

vintagejoy avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medalTour Guide Leader medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 8/6/2018 8:33 PM ET

I've just finished a three book cozy series by Penny Pike.   "Death of a Crabby Cook;"  "Death of a Chocolate Cheater,"  and "Death of a Bad Apple."   This is a food truck related story based in San Francisco.  The MC, Darcy, has been recently let go at her newspaper where she worked as a food reviewer.  Downsizing.  She decides to help her Aunt Abby, who owns a food truck stationed at Fort Mason in SF,  get through seafood festival.  Aunt Abby has so much energy, she made me tired just reading all she did.  :)  Anyway, of course someone is murdered in each book and Darcy, her cousin Dillon, Aunt Abby help the police catch the murderer.  Nice simple cozies, great beach read material.  Very good.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 8/21/2018 5:52 AM ET

Night School by Lee Child. My first Jack Reacher. Only a few pages in. No significant action yet.

This has the standard page turner format. I don't think I will read anymore Reachers.

Last Edited on: 8/27/18 10:36 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 8/21/2018 6:21 AM ET

I am reading Murder on Bank Street by Victoria Thompson. Book 10 in the series. They are always good

SusanG avatar
Date Posted: 8/21/2018 10:42 PM ET

Read Rescued: An Andy Carpenter Mystery by David Rosenfelt.  Smart aleck lawyer and always amusing.

Murder on Union Square (Gaslight Mystery) by Victoria Thompson.  See Alice's post above.

DNF London Rules (Slough House) by Mick Herron.  Good reviews, but couldn't get into it.

Now reading An Aegean April (Chief Inspector Andrea Kaldis Mystery, Book 9) by Jeffrey Siger.  Set in Athens and Greek Islands. Enjoyed the others in the series.

Clock Dance by Anne Tyler.  Hometown girl.  Always enjoy her fiction.

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 8/22/2018 6:21 PM ET

Read Firestorm and it was quite good.  However, I was disappointed that the characters deviated toward the end from what one would expect from their earlier actions.  Strange.

And, now I've started The Cuckoo's Calling.  We'll see how that goes.  Has anyone else read it?

Last Edited on: 8/22/18 6:22 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
MartieKr avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 8/24/2018 8:23 AM ET

Just finished Why Kill the Innocent (Sebastian St. Cyr Mystery)C. S. Harris which, as always, was excellent. I love the characters.

Also finished Find Me in Shadows and Hear Me in Silence (Jeweled Visions) by Liss M. Young. These are the first and second in the series. (Apparently they are only out on Kindle right now.)  The stories involve an MC who is a jewelry appraisor and sees the past by touching old objects. The first in the series reminded me of the old Gothic mysteries I read when I was young. 

Last Edited on: 8/24/18 6:07 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
vintagejoy avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medalTour Guide Leader medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 8/26/2018 3:44 PM ET

Just finished reading  "The Sixth Day - A Brit in the FBI"  by Catherine Coulter and JT Ellison.  This is a series and I want to tell you that even though it was 500+ pages, I finished it in two days.  Just can't put these books down.  This series is an off-shoot from Coulter's FBI thrillers and you get cross over from those characters as well.  Super goo

Also read "Hark the Herald Angels Slay" by Vicki Delaney, and Gone Gull by Donna Andrews.  Old favorites, enjoyed them very much.

Has anyone heard from Becky recently?

Last Edited on: 8/26/18 3:45 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 8/27/2018 1:46 PM ET

Just finished The Cuckoo's Calling by the author of the Harry Potter series.  Put this one on my WL some time ago as I wanted to see if the author could jump genres successfully.  Yes!  Yes!  Yes!  This is a good mystery with a down and out PI as the hero.  He lost part of a leg in Afghanistan. There are a few flaws but I shall not dwell on them. Like the hero, Cormoran Strike, very much - a PI whose father is a famous performer. Independent, careful, detail oriented and thorough. When a woman falls from her apartment to her death, her brother doesn't believe it was suicide and hires Strike to investigate her death. I did figure out who the murderer must be but it did not change my opinion of this writer's work in a new genre. I will look for the second in this series by the author who writes mysteries under the name, Robert Galbraith.

Last Edited on: 8/27/18 1:50 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 8/29/2018 6:36 AM ET

I am reading The Widows of Malabar Hill by Sujata Massey

Set in 1921 India. Great setting and time period. Love her books