Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Historical Fiction

Topic: May Historical Fiction We are Reading

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Subject: May Historical Fiction We are Reading
Date Posted: 5/1/2016 7:55 AM ET

I finished Mademoiselle Chanel by C.W. Gortner last night. Very interesting life she led. We have her to thank for more comfortable woman's clothing.

yankeechick avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 5/2/2016 9:49 AM ET

I started Where Serpents Sleep by CS Harris.  Man, do I love this series!  It's a good thing I was a nutter and bought the whole series - I'm rolling right through them  cheeky

KellyP avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 5/4/2016 12:02 AM ET

Ahh, Lord Devlin!!! One of my favorite leading men.Sigh.

I finished New Yorkby Edward Rutherford and really, really enjoyed it. Actually moreso than I thought I would, which was also a pleasant surprise. I won't be so cautious about his other books in the future. :)

Kelly

DebKit avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 5/5/2016 2:26 PM ET

I just finished Lucinda Riley's Hothouse Flower. I enjoyed it, then sent it on to the next WLer. Trying to NOT start anything new until I make some progress on our downsizing project frown

Debbie

bkydbirder avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 5/5/2016 4:23 PM ET

Deborah - I can relate to downsizing but when it comes to books, I seem to be a miserable failure!!!!! Good luck!

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 5/8/2016 7:35 AM ET

Has anyone read White Truffles in Winter?  It's a delightful, delightful read and an unusual historical fiction.  DH read it before I did and loved it but, of course, he's a real foodie so the parts about food were a joy for him.  I  spent so much of my professional life preparing and supervising the preparation of food that I like someone to just feed me.  Luckily, he does.  So my advice is if you like food and enjoy reading about a fantastic chef, his life and his approach to preparing great dishes pick this one up.  DH checked out many of the facts about his life online and found them true!   

KellyP avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 5/15/2016 6:50 PM ET

I recently finished The Masqueraders by Georgette Heyer. Thinking about the books by her that I have read, I have never been disappointed and there are a few that are definite favorites.

Add The Masqueraders to the list of Favorites!! Such a fun, fast-moving, cleverly constructed romp! A brother & sister who are in a bit of hot water (the wrong side of the Jacobite Rebellion) don disguises of the opposite gender, and under assumed names, stay with an old family friend while they await isntructions from their oh-so-clever, adventuring father. Naturally, Peter (who is really Prudence) and Kate (who is really Robin) are quickly drawn into high society, and the escapades and complications begin! 

The book is full of the witty dialog & delightful characters that make all of Heyer's romances so much fun!

~Kelly

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 5/19/2016 7:38 AM ET

Last night I started The Fifth Heart by Dan Simmons.  Set in late 1800s. It is supposed to be Henry James and Sherlock Holmes. Seems a bit odd so far but I will give it a chance.

Alice

MichiganderHolly avatar
Date Posted: 5/21/2016 7:56 PM ET

I am currently in a reading contest with my 11 year old so he doesn't give up on being 1st in his grade this year for reading points.  So far we are on book 2 of the Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini (Eldest) and he is kicking my butt!  I leave for the Smoky Mountains on Thursday and have packed The Moon in the Palace by Weina Dei Randal for the trip.  I'm also waiting on Hanging Mary by Susan Higginbotham to come in at the library so I can take that too :)  10.5 hour car ride with 11 and 14 year old boys- MUST HAVE BOOKS!!!

hannamatt52 avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 5/21/2016 8:00 PM ET

I just finished up Seven for a Secret by Lyndsay Faye, #2 in the Timothy Wilde series.  It's absolutely fabulous and my best read of the year so far!

KellyP avatar
Date Posted: 5/22/2016 12:41 AM ET

Two five-star books back to back! My cup surely runneth over! 

I finished An Officer and A Spy by Robert Harris a couple of days ago about the Richard Dreyfuss Affair and it was marvelous!! Think "historical fiction meets Robert Ludlum!" I read & listened to this book on audio and loved it! The accents used were more British than they were French, but to these American ears, it all worked and the suspense & drama added by having it ready to me really enhanced my enjoyment of this book. 

Courtesy of many hours on the road due to a recent business trip, I am also within about 70 pages of finishing The Secret Chord by Geraldine Brooks (again, combination of audio & printed copy of the book). This is my first biblical historical fiction and I have been absolutely fascinated. Due, in no small part, to the masterful skill of Geraldine Brooks. 

Kelly

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 5/22/2016 7:03 AM ET

Kelly I would be interested in your view of The Secret Chord. The review are mixed. One said the language is very old.

DebKit avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 5/24/2016 1:52 PM ET

I really liked The Island House by Posie Graeme Evans. She is a new author for me, and I enjoyed her writing style and the story very much!

Debbie

bkydbirder avatar
Date Posted: 5/24/2016 2:05 PM ET

I have started reading Plague by C C Humphreys - gripping, so far!

drw avatar
Date Posted: 5/28/2016 1:26 PM ET

I just finished The Song of Troy, which Cheryl mentioned here last month. What a treat it was! Thanks, Cheryl!

hannamatt52 avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 5/29/2016 1:27 PM ET

I'm so glad you enjoyed it too Donna.  It had been on my wishlist for years and didn't disappoint.

rainfall avatar
Date Posted: 7/13/2016 10:13 PM ET

Alice, The Secret Chord was my first book of the year, and I also really enjoyed it. The language didn't strike me old as I was reading. She did a beautiful job, as always (IMO). 

DebKit avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 7/14/2016 10:53 AM ET

About halfway through:

Good King Harry (Ballantine Reader's Circle)

by Giardina, Denise

Enjoying the future king's perspective very much!  Debbie

rainfall avatar
Date Posted: 7/14/2016 7:18 PM ET

I'm going to stick some of these on my Reminder List for future enjoyment options. I've put myself on a strict book diet though as my TBR pile is huge and has been neglected for much too long. 

On my nook I'm finishing Dance with Dragons (Song of Ice and Fire series/Game of Thrones). It's a tome and I've been reading it here and there with MONTHS in between since 2013? I don't know why as I'm totally into the story, but I tire so fast these days and fall asleep without much progress. It shall be finished soon though! 

I'm listening to The Vampire Lestat by Anne Rice and enjoying it very much! 

There are 50 (and change) books that I desperately want to read next, and I can't decide which one will win. I made a book list and put it to CMT for votes, haha. So far Kate Morton's The Distant Hours is winning, but Katherine is right up there and one that I had thought I may read this summer. :)

hannamatt52 avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 7/14/2016 8:20 PM ET

Katherine is such a good book, Kelly.  No pressure there, though lol!

Last Edited on: 7/14/16 8:21 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
bkydbirder avatar
Date Posted: 7/15/2016 7:26 AM ET

Pretty active in your reading Kelly - good for you! I suggest we move this conversation to the July thread since this is the May thread - LOL