Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Mystery & Thrillers

Topic: Ho-Ho-Ho! Do you have time to read this month?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
skeetergirl avatar
Date Posted: 12/28/2015 5:29 PM ET

Re the Richard Jury books...I liked all of them except The Black Cat, which is the next to the last book.  The main reason I didn't like it was because all of the characters I loved in the previous books were missing.  In Vertigo 42 (the last book to date), they were back.  Given her age, I wonder if there will be any more.  Might have to go back and re-read them!

Hope all of you escape all the horrid weather I have been seeing on TV.  Nice in Denver today, snow tomorrow!!

vintagejoy avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medalTour Guide Leader medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 12/28/2015 8:30 PM ET

Our tropical lifestlye is coming to an abrupt halt.  The temps today didn't get out of the 20's and we are going to get 6-10 inches of snow starting tonight through midnight tomorrow.  Not a flake of snow all year and the first storm we get bombed.  However, we really can't complain - this warmer weather has saved everyone a ton of money on heating costs. 

Let's see - I finished "Murder at the Brightwell"  by Ashley Weaver which was extremely good.  Then "Come Rain or Come Shine" by Jan Karon (not a mystery, but sure a cozy,) "For the Last Time" and "Dreams Don't Last" by J & J Lavene in their Sharyn Howard series.  Now I'm reading the next in that series, "Glory's Last Victim,"  These read really fast.

I received an Amazon gift card for Christmas which I am thrilled about, but I'm having a bit of difficulty trying to buy about $130 of books on a $25 gift card.  :)  Squeezing every last penny out of it.

Spuddie avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 12/28/2015 10:14 PM ET

Still working on the Brother Cadfael book as my bedtime book, started Hidden by Karen E. Olson, first of a new series for her. She wrote a couple of other series prior to this one, this is less cozy, about a woman who used to be a computer hacker who caused someone to die somehow with one of her jobs and went underground, changed her name and lives totally off the grid on an island where she has been for 15 years. Then someone finds her...it's quite good so far.

I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 about a month ago and don't mind it at all, didn't really notice that much difference, just a few things that it took a little time to get used to the change, but now I don't even think about it.

It's finally snowing here, we got a dusting the day after Christmas, now we're supposed to get 6-10" by tomorrow afternoon. We'll see...the weather weenies haven't been terribly accurate lately. At least the timing is decent, since these are my days off and I don't have to leave the house until Thursday when I go back to work. Poor hubby has to drive to work in it, though. At least it feels like Minnesota now. :)

Cheryl

quiltpurple avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 12/29/2015 10:08 PM ET

Finished The Diva Wraps It Up by Krista Davis and am now reading A Ghostly Grave by Tonya Kappes.  It is so silly and far out that I find myself shaking my head and just laughing.  Lady Cluckington and Colonel Chicken Teater--don't you just love it!  I should finish this just in time to start on the 2016 Challenges.  Yipee.  I'm ready.

mary2029 avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 12/29/2015 10:47 PM ET

OMG - I've discovered movies on the internet. I may never (gasp) read a book again!

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 12/30/2015 8:55 AM ET

I finished Tricky Twenty-Two (Stephanie Plum, Bk 22) :: Janet Evanovich

Nothing all that new but still very funny, really good ending. Wonder where it will take us!!

geejay avatar
Geri (geejay) -
Member of the Month medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 12/30/2015 11:09 AM ET

Oh Una, I love that Ghostly series.  It's so light hearted and LOL over the situations and the names. 

Mary, GASP! is right.  I know I could get them through Amazon but hesitate.

Alice I just finished Twenty-two last week.  It's such a typical Sephanie with cuts, scrapes, cars destroyed and her love life.  Could we be coming to an ending of the series with that ending?  I've been reading and laughing since the first came out in 1994.  Janet Evanovich does end series.  I was checking FF and realized I've read all her series and novels!  But of all of them I still remember parts of the first.  

quiltpurple avatar
Date Posted: 12/30/2015 1:42 PM ET

Geri, you mean where Stephanie finally gets Joe--locks him naked in the back of the truck and delivers him to the police station to collect her bounty?  That was a hoot!

geejay avatar
Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 12/30/2015 2:11 PM ET

Una, grandma dressing like Stephanie in bike shorts, Doc Matens and waving a gun over the chicken at dinner.  The part about Joe and I just remember laughing and laughing at that first book.  I should read it again. 

Well, got the first three books of 2016 lined up and ready to READ!

I'm still reading The Little Death / P J Parrish.  I enjoy the books but they all seem to start slow and gather steam as I go along.

Also DNF Mouse on Kindle.  Supposed to be a thriller and you couldn't prove it by me.  What whiny characters!

Last Edited on: 12/30/15 2:46 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
clariail avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 12/30/2015 2:41 PM ET

I was tryng to find something to read on my Kindle while at work (very slow in the office) and started a cozy that I have had for a while, Fright at the Museum (Historical Society Murders) by Mary Nealy. One of those that so far seem pretty goofy and silly but it is funny.  Only about 15% into it so far but I think I will like it okay.

I got the link info from Amazon and noticed that I purchased it in 2012.  Looks like there are three all together. May pick up the third one if I like this one.

Last Edited on: 12/30/15 4:00 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
vintagejoy avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medalTour Guide Leader medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 12/30/2015 4:09 PM ET

Started reading "Musseled Out" by Barbara Ross, but decided after a few pages that it would fit nicely in the challenge category of reading a book as close to home as possible.

So I started on "The Whitechapel Conspiracy" by Anne Perry.  I have read this Charlotte and Thomas Pitt series to here some time ago, but just didn't seem like I wanted to read this one.  Probably tired of them.  Now, I'm almost done this one and am enjoying it immensely. 

We got about 5 inches of snow yesterday.  Our new snow plow guy did a marvelous job.  Yay!

flfraidycat avatar
Date Posted: 12/30/2015 4:16 PM ET

I'm not quite caught up on Evanovich because I "ration" them, but book 7 stays in mind...lots of "hot" Ranger!

beanie5 avatar
Standard Member medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medal
Date Posted: 12/31/2015 1:35 PM ET

My tenure with Stephanie Plum ended at about Book 6 --- just did not enjoy the back and forth love story piece --- but Book No. 1 was certainly my very favorite with Grandma shooting the chicken!!  Laughed out loud.

I am reading another Kindle book --- what a surprise --- "Fair and Tender Ladies", a Richard Nottingham book, by Chris Nickson. I really enjoy these stories.

Dear Jeanne has actually shipped me some "real" books!!!  What a pleasure that will be.

Having a, no doubt, very quite New Year's Eve here with the ladies!!  Will likely be in bed well before the ball dropping.

Last Edited on: 12/31/15 1:35 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
skeetergirl avatar
Date Posted: 12/31/2015 5:57 PM ET

Got through a couple of more Christmas books that were mysteries...

Kitty Peck and the Music Hall Murders/Kate Griffin.  By the title, I thought this might be a cozy, but it isn't.  Set in Victorian London, a rather nasty woman owns three music halls.  Girls have been disappearing and she charges another girl to find out what is going on if she wants to see her brother alive again.  The MC, Kitty, has no idea how she is supposed to do this, but she perseveres and, in the end, solves the case.  The ending is rather open-ended and I guess there was supposed to be a second in the series.  Might, or might not, read it!!

Broken/Karin Fossum.  This was billed as a mystery, but it really wasn't (IMO).  Set in Norway, the premise sounded interesting...when an author looks out her window she sees people lined up in her driveway.  They are all the characters she has in her head but hasn't yet used in a book.  The second in line jumps ahead and appears in her bedroom demanding that she tell his story.  His story is actually fairly boring and he keeps reappearing in her flat wanting to know what is going to happen next or wanting to know why she is eating lunch instead of working on his story!  He lives a totally boring life and does nothing but whine about everything.  He does get himself in a bit of a mess, but she assures him it will all probably come right, but she has finished the story and he will have to figure out the rest of it on his own...and the book ends!!!  She has also written a police procedural series, but not sure I want to try them!!

Last Edited on: 12/31/15 5:58 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
bkydbirder avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 12/31/2015 6:10 PM ET

Marla - I read a couple of Karin Fossum's books and when I hit one that appeared to have "no ending" (The Indian Bride), I gave up! Won't read another one and ESPECIALLY after your description! Don't waste your time as there are plenty of really good books out there.

beanie5 avatar
Standard Member medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medal
Date Posted: 12/31/2015 6:28 PM ET

Well I went on an "end of year" Kindle buying spree!!  Went thru my wishlist and checked every book to see if it was available on Kindle and for how much!!!  Got 3 with Kindle Unlimited, then 12 more, with only one more than 5.99.  Most were 2.99 --- my normal high dollar amout is $3.99!!  Hopefully this will not mean I am without my bookshelves for another 6 months!!!  Even if I get into the house in January, the books are all packed in boxes in the garage, so they may not come to light for a while!!!

geejay avatar
Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 12/31/2015 7:32 PM ET

Ballston Spa Elk's Lodge New Year's Party - The Ballston Journal ...  

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

BLESSINGS AND SPARKLES TO ONE AND ALL

quiltpurple avatar
Date Posted: 12/31/2015 8:34 PM ET

It's New Year's Eve.  We can start reading 2016 challenge books yipee!  My 2015 went out with a bang.  Took a fall yesterday, ended up in the ER getting 12 stitches on my forehead and scalp.  75 years old and that's the first time I ever had to have stitches.  Sheesh.  Still a bit foggy today, and getting very, very stiff, but luckily no concussion, so let's bring the New Year in with wishes for Good Books, Good Friends and Good Health.  Cheers!

Spuddie avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 12/31/2015 9:40 PM ET

HIPPO GNU EARS EVERYONE! laughI'm celebrating quietly at home tonight, no partying for me. Finished work and rushed to get home before the drunks start making their way out. Got home and hubby was sleeping (he works nights so often keeps odd hours) so I made myself a light supper and settled in to read awhile.

Una, OUCH!! I hope you are feeling better soon.  Marla and Jeanne, I agree about Karin Fossum, I read the first couple of Inspector Seijer books and they were okay, but I also quit at The Indian Bride. It was a few years ago, but if memory serves, I never did finish it.

Here's hoping 2016 is full of lots of wonderful books!

Cheryl

skeetergirl avatar
Date Posted: 1/1/2016 12:56 AM ET

Oh, Una, what a horrid way to end the year!  Tho, it's good that you don't have a concussion or any broken bones.

A quiet NY's here.  DH watched the ball fall in NYC (somewhat anti-climatic IMO) and went to bed.  Still an hour 'till 2016 in Denver.  I finished a book and will pick another one and read for a bit.  It was supposed to be 3º in downtown Denver at midnight.  Can't believe all of the people who are down there just to watch some fireworks!!!  (Am I showing my age? cheeky)

HAPPY 2016 TO ALL OF YOU!

geejay avatar
Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 1/1/2016 12:22 PM ET

Una, hope you're much better now!

New month, New Year!

January 2016 - Reading anything good?

vintagejoy avatar
Date Posted: 1/1/2016 3:06 PM ET

Una ~ take good care of yourself, my dear!  Ouch!

We must be on to a new month by now.  See you there!

Page: