Discussion Forums - Mystery & Thrillers

Topic: Independence Day ~ What are you reading?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 7/30/2016 5:40 AM ET

You never know the books could show up one of these months.  Connie lives about seven miles from me.  I mailed a book to her and it took three months to finally get to her house.  Now we meet and I hand her a book, never gets lost.  :)

Date Posted: 7/30/2016 7:56 PM ET

Hello All.  I haven't been reading much due to vision problems.  I think I need new glasses.  I am trying (slowly) to read All In by Simona Ahrnstedt.  It is an international best seller translated from Swedish.  It is marketed as the non dark and angsty side of Swedish contemporary fiction.  We shall see.

I had one book turn up 2 years and 4 months after the member mailed it.  It was in great condition except for the very dirty wrapper.

Last Edited on: 7/30/16 7:58 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Date Posted: 7/31/2016 7:45 AM ET

Voices by Arnauld Indridason is set in Reykjavik. It's a few days before Christmas and the doorman and sometime Santa of a hotel is found stabbed to death, in a compromising position, in the basement room where he lived. The hotel is full of tourists and doesn't want trouble. None of the staff admits knowing anything about the doorman who had worked there for twenty years. Erlendur and his team are investigating, and everyone seems to be reminding him that his personal life is a wasteland, and he's not getting any younger. Why would someone want to kill the doorman-choirboy, who until the age of twelve had had the voice of an angel?

Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 7/31/2016 10:57 AM ET

Cause his voice changed?  devil  First thing that hit my brain when I read that.  Bad, I'm bad to the bone and Joy told me to behave.

Date Posted: 7/31/2016 3:43 PM ET

I finished reading Take the Monkey and Run by Laura Morrigan last night. I think it was the best of the series so far.

Now I'm reading Zero Day by David Baldacci.

Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 7/31/2016 5:22 PM ET

Cynthia I completely agree with you on that one!

Date Posted: 8/1/2016 1:16 AM ET

The boy in Voices did have a voice change that set in place a chain of events. And not in the way you might think. I thought the book read as deceptively simple until I put it all together at the end. Several boys had their childhoods stolen from them, each in a different way. Good twists at end.

Date Posted: 8/1/2016 7:24 AM ET

The Green Ripper by John D MacDonald is the first Travi McGee book I've read. McGee's girlfriend dies in a Florida hospital having suffered from a virulent fever. Then a couple men come asking questions about her, and what appeared to be a sudden but natural death turns out to be murder. Shortly before her death Gretel had seen a man she associated with a California religious cult, but this cult's religion has less to do with God than terrorism. Although written in 1979 The Green Ripper translates frighteningly well to 2016.

Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 8/1/2016 11:18 AM ET

I love John D MacDonald's books.  I really enjoyed the Travis McGee series.  His stand alones are terrific.  I really like The Girl, The Gold Watch and Everything which is not a pure mystery, has a bit of sci-fi/paranormal to it.  Condominium was great and those are only two that come immediately to mind.

Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 8/1/2016 11:33 AM ET

It's August!  Where has the year gone?

On the Beach and Reading What in August?

Page: