Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: irritating pop-up ad covers acct tabs

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Subject: irritating pop-up ad covers acct tabs
Date Posted: 5/15/2014 9:54 AM ET

Is anyone else bothered by an irritating pop-up ads that covers important tabs on the "my account" page?  I've tried everything to get rid of it (dumping my cache etc.) but after a few minutes it comes back....it always comes back.  There appears to be no way to close them. 

Any help will be appreciated.

Elaine

IlliniAlum83 avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal
Date Posted: 5/15/2014 10:14 AM ET

you shouldn't be getting pop-up ads at all here on PBS.  I'm no computer whiz, but I'm sure I've seen this complaint before in the forums.

thekoose avatar
Date Posted: 5/15/2014 10:26 AM ET

PBS doesn't have any ads.

It has to do with your computer.  Clean/clear your cache, and run a virus scan.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 5/15/2014 11:26 AM ET

Thanks.  I've done that.  The virus scan shows nothing so I think I'll hunt for a malware program.  What drive me nuts is that the pop-ups are intermittant.  Like the noise in your car engine that doesn't do it when you take it to the mechanic. 

Glad to know it's me, not PBS.

Elaine

Cattriona avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 5/16/2014 2:02 PM ET

Try Adaware and Malwarebytes -- they're free, often recommended by technical folks, and I've found them helpful myself.

BookLynx avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Coordinator medalBook Data Correction Group medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 5/17/2014 12:52 AM ET

I have not yet tried Adaware, but I have used Malwarebytes with very good results and good help for removing malware.

DuskyRose avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 5/17/2014 1:32 PM ET

Also, try checking your browser for add-ons or extentions that get installed when you download something else. I don't think they show up as malware. I think you have to go looking for them to find them.

On Chrome they're listed in "Settings" and 'Extentions".

rxtheresa avatar
Date Posted: 5/17/2014 6:20 PM ET

I wonder if you are using Mozilla Firefox.  There are many people having that problem as did I. It did seem PBS got a lot of them and at first I thought it was the site.   Appears nothing stops it as I have Stopzilla and other popup blockers that didn't touch it.  So I changed my browser to Google Chrome and no more pop up ads.

riksny avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 5/17/2014 6:28 PM ET

I have Firefox & don't see any popups like you are describing.

gingerkitty avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 5/17/2014 9:51 PM ET

I also use Firefox and have never had any problems with popups on PBS at all.

I second the Malwarebytes recommendation.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 5/18/2014 7:24 AM ET

Follow-up.

I had downloaded a program  and a Yahoo toolbar downloaded with it.  I got rid of the toolbar but an add-on called Like 1.3 lurked.  Took me a while to find it but once I did and removed it all the popups disappeared.  The popups were strickly for nonprofit and public service announcements.  I fully support not starting forest fires and Make-A-Wish foundation, but the drop-downs were really irritating.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Last Edited on: 5/18/14 7:26 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
Patouie avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Coordinator medalBook Data Approver medalTour Guide Asst. Coord. medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Cruise Attendee medalPBS Blog Contributor medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 5/18/2014 2:27 PM ET

Thanks so much for posting the solution.  Nasty stuff! 

rxtheresa avatar
Date Posted: 5/18/2014 2:36 PM ET

Yes, thank you.  I did check my add-ons and I don't have Like 1.3 or any other version of it so still can't figure out my problem but I'm happy with Chrome so all is well.

BookLynx avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Coordinator medalBook Data Correction Group medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 5/19/2014 1:33 AM ET

Thank you for the follow-up, Elaine. Your experience is a reminder to very careful when downloading new software or updates to software already installed on your system. Many software downloads and upgrades  will include unwanted toolbars or other programs by default.

Be sure not to click too quickly through install dialogs because add-ons you don't want may be check-marked by default. When downloading or upgrading any software you want, be sure to uncheck any add-ons or programs that you don't recognize in the install dialog.