Discussion Forums - Mystery & Thrillers

Topic: January 2016 - Reading anything good?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 1/26/2016 11:59 AM ET

I finished Fit to Die.  I do have the next but I'm holding off right now.  Maybe I'll read one a month.  We'll see.  I actually finished that pile of books that I started and couldn't seem to settle on one.  The next day I just picked up one of them and went from there without starting another!

Now, I'm going to read The Dressmaker / Kate Alcott as my chair book, an oldie, Foul Play at the PTA / Laura Alden for bed and try to finish Murder With Fried Chicken on Kindle.  I've hit the mid point so it's downhill from here!

Date Posted: 1/26/2016 1:52 PM ET

That's what I need to do--go through Mount TBR and pull out the ones I've changed my mind about reading.  With all the new books each month, I'm definitely not without something to read!  The darn Kindle list keeps getting bigger and bigger.  My sewing time has definitely taken a hit with all the reading I've been doing. 

Date Posted: 1/27/2016 10:25 PM ET

I finished The Wickenham Murders/Amy Myers and am glad I stuck it out another chapter or two, because soon the actual mystery overrode the sort of clumsy and awkward writing style. It ended up being a decent read. I was, however, VERY disappointed in A Dangerous Place/Jacqueline Winspear. One of my favorite series really fell off the mark with this entry. I can't say much without giving spoilers out, but...just UGH. I hope the new one is better. I picked up #2 Wesley Peterson series (The Armada Boy/Kate Ellis) from the library today, haven't cracked it yet. Still working on The Tintern Treasure/Kate Sedley on the Kindle and my current audio is non-mystery.

Today was my older grandson Marshall's second birthday! Can you believe it? I can't! It's so hard to get a picture of him now, he's constantly moving so they all end up blurry. LOL

Cheryl

Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 1/28/2016 7:56 AM ET

Oh Cheryl, I can't believe Marshall is 2!  Both your grandsons are such cuties.

I finally finished Murder With Fried Chicken and Waffles.  There is a second coming out in August.  I have to be careful not to order it.  I really slogged through this one.  In fact while I was reading that one book I managed to got through three of the Rose Gardner books by Denise Grover Swanson.  I'm taking a bit of a break from them right now, I don't want to get burned out.    Now going to read All Dressed Up and No Place to Haunt / Rose Pressey. 

Finished Foul Play at the PTA / Laura Alden and picked up The Good, The Bad and the Witchy / Heather Blake as my bed book.  #3 in the series.

Date Posted: 1/29/2016 11:55 AM ET

Has Becky gone to Denver??      :)

I'm reading the last of the Anne Perry novels I have.  'The Angel Court Affair'   It is good.  I can't believe I have really read this entire series!  Now just waiting the new one to come up on my wish list. 

Once that is done I have a plethora of new books to choose from:  'Home Before Nightfall,'  Charles Finch;  'Candy Cane Murder,'  Leslie Meier; 'The Stitching Hour,' Amanda Lee;  The Final Revelry' Amanda Flower, are just some of them.  Not sure what the next will be, but I've got over 1/2 of this book to get through, so first things first.

Last Edited on: 1/31/16 4:31 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
Date Posted: 1/29/2016 9:40 PM ET

No Joy --- not in Denver.  In Dallas at the Apparel Mart.  My "secret" sideline is buying clothing for a very small boutique in the small town (Coweta, Oklahoma) where my cousins live.  My cousin's daughter, Misty, has had her own Do It Yourself craft store for about a year and one half.  This past October when I finally managed to get relocated to Oklahoma, we decided I would put a small clothing section in the store.  It has been successful to some degree.  Clothes are paying for themselves, but I am not geting rich by any means (hee hee).  I have been ordering from an online wholesale site and it has been very frustrating, as I cannot see the quality, fabric, etc. etc. until it arrives --- things are not always what one would hope.  So since it is only 4 hours from Tulsa to Dallas we decided to come down here and see what the "market" was all about.  It is exhausting, but wonderful.  I purchased, I hope, everything I will need for the Spring and Summer seasons and was able to see, touch and even try on the items.  It is a little scary too --- the items will begin arriving in mid to late February and hopefully I will remember most of what I have purchsed!!!  We have been so exhausted when we get back to our room, my reading has been pretty much at a standstill.  Driving back to Oklahoma tomorrow!!!

Date Posted: 1/30/2016 7:10 AM ET

Oh Becky, what a cool thing! I can imagine the research and effort that went in to it, but the whole enterprise sounds like so much fun!

Date Posted: 1/30/2016 8:50 AM ET

You are really keeping busy, Becky and what an enjoyable project! Good for you....

Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 1/30/2016 1:24 PM ET

Oh, shopping my favorite thing!  As well as not filling my closet.  devil

Date Posted: 1/30/2016 11:47 PM ET

It's snowing in Denver, but not supposed to amount to more than a few inches.  BUT, the real storm comes in tomorrow night and by Tuesday they are saying we could have 10-16"!!   Have plenty of food, tea, hot chocolate, nibbles and books so, if it actually arrives, I'm good to go!!!

Been reading a diverse group of books...The Devil's Hatband/Robert O. Greer.  Set in Denver and the Colorado mountains, MC is a 45 yr old Black bail bondsman and bounty hunter.  In the "hard-boiled" mold, but I liked the character.  Especially liked the descriptions of Five Points...an area that was home to the black community in Denver...a lot of famous jazz musicians played the clubs there in the 1930s and 40s.  Liked his descriptions of the resturants and some of the food they served (didn't mention fried chicken and waffles!!!!).

Amethyst Dreams/Phyllis Whitney...seems like every time "gems" come up in the Challenge, I grab a Phyllis Whitney!!!  Still like a good gothic now and then!!

The Hanging Wood/Martin Edwards...read the first four in this series and by the time the next one came out I had forgotten about them!  Set in England, MC is retired history professor who, in this book, gets involved with a DCI to solve a cold case.  Good series...glad I remembered it!!

Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 1/31/2016 12:18 AM ET

Marla, I'm supposed to get that second storm you mention.  I hope the roads are clear by Wednesday I have an appointment for new hearing aids!

Reading The Dressmaker / Kate Alcott.  Not a mystery but a fictional / fact about the sinking of the Titanic.  I expected more on the ship but it's about the U. S. investigation into the sinking.  The senator who led the inquiry said to one of the surviving crew men "what does an iceberg consist of?"  Answer ice?  I wondered why the U. S. did an inquiry and found the ship was actually owned by a U. S. Company, the White Star line though it was built in Ireland and sailed under the British flag.  I think, memory is hazy, that a movie was made about the one lifeboat that could hold at least 50 or 60 people had 12 people and did not attempt to pick up survivors in the water, in fact beat them off so the lifeboat wouldn't swamp.  It's slow reading in spots, slog through and get to a good part, slow.  Overall not great but not bad either.

Read Fowl Play at the PTA and with that discovered I read the entire series back when it was first published.  Not a bad cozy series even if I didn't remember those first two books.  Kinda, sorta, did I?

The Good, the Bad and the Witchy / Heather Blake.  #3 in the series.  I've got #4 in the wings.  A comfy series, no language, no sex.  Joy you might like the series.  Una for sure.

Now reading Ghost in the Wind / E J Cooperman.  This will be the last in this series that I read.  I like the characters and the ghosts but the writing style annoys me.  The author seems to feel that everything must be commented on and does so by inserting comments in parenthesis which throws off my reading flow if that makes sense.  Cynthia commented in the Cozy challenge:  "I get a little tired of the MC's sarcastic manner, especially when it is usually pointed out in some manner that she is being sarcastic."  True!  

Last Edited on: 1/31/16 12:19 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
Date Posted: 1/31/2016 4:30 AM ET

Becky - that sounds like so much fun!  Best wishes that it will be a huge success!

I did finish both 'The Angel Court Affair' by Anne Perry and 'The Stitching Hour' by Amanda Lee.  Now I am on to 'Candy Corn Murder' by Leslie Meier. 

We are in the middle of our January thaw.  The last couple days have been lovely and by Monday & Tuesday we are going to be close to 50.  Amazing.  We will have to get the lawn chairs out!   :)

Date Posted: 1/31/2016 5:25 AM ET

Becky, that sounds like a wonderful adventure, wish you the best for a great success.

Joy, we are having warm spring like temps today of 50 but with rain.

Geri, our forecast must have changed since you last watched the weather, as that big storm is going up to the U.P. and it is to rain heavily on Tuesday here. But here is the latest forecast for Wednesday -- Wednesday becomes colder with falling temperatures through the 30s and 20s. Rain will change to scattered snow showers, and streets will get more slippery through the day. Maybe you can change your appointment.

Almost done reading Rest Ye Murdered Gentleman for the cozy challenge.

Last Edited on: 1/31/16 5:25 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 1/31/2016 7:22 AM ET

True, I don't pay that much attention to the weather and I think I last looked a couple of days ago at the Weather Channel.  Something that had a picture of the US and a big storm in a swoop from Colorado down past Chicago and then swoop up to cover Detroit and north.  Said it was going to be bad for Groundhog Day.  The forecast I just saw says it'll be 43 on Wednesday with afternoon showers.  I should be home by then.

Not that simple to change an appointment with an ENT.  My eye doc maybe, in fact he has said if the weather is bad just call and when you can get here we'll squeeze you in.  The ENT is new so who knows.  It took me three weeks to get this appointment and it's just to do a hearing test, examine my ears and hopefully a fitting..

Last Edited on: 1/31/16 7:24 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
Date Posted: 1/31/2016 9:36 AM ET

I mentioned in the Cozy thread that I just finished two Kindle books: A Scone to Die For by H.Y. Hanna which takes place in Oxford, England. Delightful cozy with nicely drawn secondary characters. I really enjoyed it; An Accidental Murder by J. New, a short novella which introduces us to Isabella Bridges, a widow in 1930 England. This is a paranormal cozy. Isabella discovers psychic gifts which help her solve a murder at a nearby orphanage.

I'm currently reading Cold Cruel Winter by Chris Nichols. I recently discovered this mystery series and although I'm reading them out of order (which doesn't bother me in the least), I am enjoying them very much.

I recently discovered a series (which isn't a mystery), but I found it quite good. Through Streets Broad and Narrow by Gemma Jackson is  historical fiction which takes place in the slums of 1925 Dublin. The MC is a young girl whose mother and brothers deserted her when she was young and she has been supporting her irresponsible father since then. He drinks away what little money she can earn collecting trash from the rich people on the hill. When he dies, a chance meeting at the morgue begins to change her life. The hardships and trials of the poor and downtrodden is vividly portrayed. I'm looking forward to reading the next in the series.

Date Posted: 2/1/2016 5:21 PM ET

Read A Flame in the Wind of Death/Jen A. Danna & Ann Vanderlaan.  This is a new series (for me) and one I am really liking.  Set in Salem, MA, the MCs are State Trooper Leigh Abbott and forensic anthropologist Dr. Matt Lowell.  In this one an ex-Wiccan is found stabbed with a ritual dagger and her body burned almost beyond recognition.  Then a priest is killed with a ceremonial sickle and the church set on fire.  Lots of forensic stuff and, in this one, lots of arson information (should you ever want to burn something down!!).  This is either the second or third installment, depending on which list you look at.  There was a novella between the first book and this one.  Normally, I ignore those because they don't really amount to anything, but this one wasn't bad...actually involved a case.  Anyway, I like the books and can't wait to get the next one.

It has been snowing in  Denver off and on since yesterday but, so far, it hasn't been the "monster storm" (the weather people's description, not mine) that was predicted...at least not in the metro area.  It is supposed to continue through tomorrow, so we shall see.

Last Edited on: 2/1/16 5:23 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 2/1/2016 5:36 PM ET

Okay everybody it's now February!

http://www.paperbackswap.com/February-2016-Reading-Something-Romantic/topic/306561/

February 2016 - Reading something romantic?

Page: