- :For the eighteenth-century Somerset archaeologist and antiquarian, see John Skinner
(1721 - 1807), historian and song-writer, son of a schoolmaster at Birse, Aberdeenshire, was educated at Marischal College.
Brought up as a Presbyterian, he became an Episcopalian and ministered to a congregation at Longside, near Peterhead, for 65 years. He wrote The Ecclesiastical History of Scotland
from the Episcopal point of view, and several songs of which The Reel of Tullochgorum
and The Ewie wi' the Crookit Horn
are the best known, and he also rendered some of the Psalms into Latin. He kept up a rhyming correspondence with Robert Burns.
He died at the home of his son, John Skinner, Bishop Coadjutor of Aberdeen on 16 June 1807.