Discussion Forums - Historical Fiction

Topic: June Historical Fiction Reads

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Date Posted: 6/12/2017 10:36 AM ET

Vicky --- I am so happy for you --- right now I have 3 little ones.  Two is the magic number for me, but when one of a pair dies, I always end up with 2 more!!!  Seems that the older one does not want to deal with a new puppy --- so the two little ones keep each other busy as the older one tries to get used to them!!!  Having said this, my dogs are all under 12 pounds!!!  Shepherds are a bit larger (hee hee).

Date Posted: 6/13/2017 6:39 AM ET

Another dog...I've thought about that.  I've also considered sedatives, and I'm thisclose to buying a herd of sheep.  LOL...He's a good boy, he's just in his teen years.  If he was human, he'd be wearing all black and getting tattoos. 

Becky--Max was 11 pounds at 7 weeks!  I imagine now that he's almost 8 months old, he's about 70 pounds.  It sure feels like that when he barges into me.  Right now he's chewing up an old tennis shoe, and I'm letting him just so I can write a couple of emails and post here! 

Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 6/13/2017 6:56 AM ET

dogs are so much work. I have a  9 year old flat coated retriever, at least he has stop chewing shoes and the furniture

I am reading Secrets in the Mist by Anna Lee Huber. It is a Gothic romantic suspense, set in 1815 England. I haven't read a Gothic in years. My mother used to love Victoria Holt novels.  It is a different pace than her other mystery series. Okay so far but I am not sure what I am expecting out of it.

Has anyone else read it yet?

Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 6/14/2017 8:09 PM ET

I have opened a new all genre swap

Everyone can play

Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 6/15/2017 7:34 AM ET

I just finished The Radium Girls by Kate Moore. It was excelletn I highly recommend. I know nothing of these womens horrors with radiation poisoning. I generally don't like nonfiction but this was very good. Give it a try.

Date Posted: 6/15/2017 8:51 AM ET

I'm reading the second book in Sarah Shaber's series starting with Louise's War. This one is titled Louise's Gamble. Louise is a young woman working for the OSS at the start of America's entrance into WWll. She is basically a "file clerk" with a top security clearance who gets involved in some pretty intricate situations. she lives in a boarding house with several others who all have different backgrounds and different means of employment. I am loving getting to know these people and the author imparts a very real sense of how life was in the Washington area at this time.

Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 6/15/2017 8:56 AM ET

Jeanne,

I have book one I will have to move it up the reading queue

Date Posted: 6/15/2017 7:39 PM ET

I have set aside "America's First Daughter." I'll eventually get back to it It's an easy read but I prefer hf that is less romancy. So I started one of several new books from the library - Sarah Dunant's "In the Name of the Family" - about the Borgias. I started it before I realized that it follows an earlier book, "Blood and Beauty", but I really like Dunant's writing and it seems like it will stand alone as a story of the last days of the Borgias as well as their relationship with Machiavelli. 

Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 6/18/2017 8:59 AM ET

I am reading The Anatomist's Apprentice (Dr. Thomas Silkstone, Bk 1) :: Tessa Harris

It has been on my TBR for a while. I like the discussion of medical analysis in the 1700s

Date Posted: 6/18/2017 11:30 AM ET

I'm reading Pardonable Lies Maisie Dobbs #3.

Date Posted: 6/18/2017 12:02 PM ET

I just finished Their Finest Hour and a Half  by Lissa Evans, also in stores as Their Finest for the movie tie-in.  Follows the making of a feature film financed by the Ministry of Information in 1941 and all the writers, actors, and crew members during the Blitz in London.  It reminded me of Mrs. Miniver, so I watched that too, with an eye towards the "propaganda" nature of the film.  I really enjoyed the book. Good story, characters and atmosphere.  I don't see how folks survived the daily bombardment.  We tend to forget.

Date Posted: 6/18/2017 1:06 PM ET

Alice --- I am caught up with the Silkstone mysteries and have enjoyed each one.

Cheryl --- Maisie is a favorite of mine --- caught up with her as well, with the exception of the very latest one.

Susan --- To say we tend to forget WWII is somewhat of an understatement given the current anti-American climate in Europe and the U.K. at this time.  I would say, they tend to forget that most of them would be speaking German today had it not been for the American troops.  It is inevitable that past history gets supplanted with more current times, but to me WWII should be one that we do not forget --- hopefully by reading histories of the event folks will recall the sadness and devastation.  Please do not think I am being critical of you --- am just sensitive to this event as my father was there, my uncle lost three toes from freezing at the Battle of the Bulge and another uncle was lost in action.

Date Posted: 6/18/2017 8:51 PM ET

Just finished a wonderful novel, 700 pages long, about WWII and a group of people involved in the war.  The book is Gone to Soldiers by Marge Percy. Became so caught up in what was happening at one point that I lay the book aside because I was afraid to read ahead to see what was going to happen to two of my favorite characters.  Now, however, I am glad I took time to read this tome.  It's wonderful and I think I need to look at other work by this author. 

And, Vicky. our Brittany is almost as much work now that she is "grown up" as she was as a puppy.  As a puppy she was exploring everything every where.  Now she explores everyone, every dog and wants to be loved and fed on her schedule.  No, we would not give her up for anything.

Last Edited on: 6/18/17 8:55 PM ET - Total times edited: 4
Date Posted: 6/19/2017 9:44 AM ET

Please accept my apologies for the WWII rant.  Not supposed to rant about anything but books here.  Got carried away on an emotional subjec for me.  Will try to do much better in the future.

Date Posted: 6/19/2017 12:55 PM ET

Becky--no worries here.  Everyone rants now and then..have you seen my posts about Max??  laugh  By the way, painting hot sauce on the rungs of my chairs has helped stop chewing tremendously!

Date Posted: 6/19/2017 3:24 PM ET

Okay, I'm now on the third book in Sarah Shaber's "Louise" series titled Louise's Dilemma. I love these books! They are quick reads but chock full of WWll history and great character development. I've gotten them all from our library so far but I just ordered a copy titled Louise's Blunder. (Couldn't get that from the library.) This is a series I hope to stick with until finished. wink

Date Posted: 6/20/2017 5:04 PM ET

Louise's Dilemma was the best one so far! Waiting for the next to get here in the mail and then it looks like the library has the others - yay!

Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 6/21/2017 8:00 AM ET

I am reading The Amorous Nightingale (Restoration Mysteries #2) :: Edward Marston

It is an older HF mystery. Set in 1667 England, during the restoration period. Very good, not many books set during that period. I enjoy Edward marston books. Start with book 1 though.

Alice

Date Posted: 6/22/2017 10:42 AM ET

I finished Maisie Dobbs #3: Pardonable Lies by Jacqueline Winspear (lovely book by the way).  Now I'm reading what is called historical science fiction,The Loch by Steve Alten.  It's a good summer scare type read although I do have to take issue with how the author related the Stuart dynasty,  He forgot the 2 Charles and mis-related Queen Anne.  Oh well Nessie won't mind, or maybe she will...

Page: