Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Mystery & Thrillers

Topic: June Mystery Reads

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Subject: June Mystery Reads
Date Posted: 6/1/2018 6:18 PM ET

What is everyone reading for June?

I just finished Murder in the Locked Library by Ellery Adams. Excellent!!

quiltpurple avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 6/1/2018 8:45 PM ET

I just finished The Skeletons of Scarborough House: An absolutely hilarious cozy mystery (The Chapelwick Mysteries) (Volume 1): Kitty French.  It's set in England and really is a hoot.  Some of the English names for things tripped me up a few times but it was easily enough figured out.  Just suspend all thoughts of something having to be plausible and let yourself be surrounded with the pure fun fantasy.

vintagejoy avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medalTour Guide Leader medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 6/2/2018 9:45 PM ET

I'm reading "A Thyme to Die"  by the late writing duo, Jim & Joyce Lavene.  This is the 6th in the gardening series.  Super good, as they all have been.  Next up is number 7.

jannymarie avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 6/5/2018 11:12 AM ET

I just finished The Passenger by Lisa Lutz. A page turner for sure.  Good and bad intertwined.  Sad and shocking when push comes to shove what a person will do. Many examples of the fact that everyone has there own level of tolerance and decisions as to when enough is enough.  

clariail avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 6/5/2018 11:59 AM ET

i just started reading When Shadows Fall (Dr. Samantha Owens Bk 3) by J.T. Ellison. Just happened to have on Kindle. Hopefully I won't miss too much as I haven't book 1 or 2. It's okay so far.

Finished The Crooked Staircase (Jane Hawk #3) by Dean Koontz this weekend. I've liked the series a lot so far but this one was my least favorite of the 3 but still good.

beanie5 avatar
Standard Member medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medal
Date Posted: 6/6/2018 10:57 AM ET

Cynthia --- That series, in my humble opinion, is best read in order --- however, not all are as anal as I about such things!!!  Right now Kindle has books 1 & 2 for $9.99 I think!!  Let me look to see if I just happen to have paper copies in my bags of books going to donation!!!

beanie5 avatar
Standard Member medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medal
Date Posted: 6/6/2018 11:02 AM ET

Okay --- I have neither on hand, however, book 2 is available here!!!   Sadly the first is not.

clariail avatar
Date Posted: 6/9/2018 1:19 PM ET

Thanks for checking Becky! I ordered the first and it is on its way. Must have been the only copy available when I ordered.

I did finish When Shadows Fall and liked it. Sort of strange at the end but didn't bother me.

I also finished The Crooked Staircase by Dean Koontz. Didn't think it was quite as good as the first two but liked it okay. Looking forward to the next one when it comes out in October. Current reading Hellbent (Orphan X Bk 3) by Gregg Hurwitz.

daisymau avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 6/10/2018 9:10 PM ET

I read All the Missing Girls and The Perfect Stranger by Megan Miranda, and The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware. The books by Megan Miranda were okay, but they jumped around a lot. I just read 2 chapters of Cabin 10 and just couldn't get into it. I started reading A Date with Murder by Jessica Fletcher.

seaspiritnw avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 6/11/2018 4:39 PM ET

Just finished Grace Sees Red and started Grace to the Finish.  Also reading Breathers and Night Film on the side smiley

beanie5 avatar
Date Posted: 6/12/2018 1:27 PM ET

I have started something called "Patient H.M." by Luke Dittrich.  It is a story (based on truth I believe) about a man who was given a lobotomy in the mid 1940s and the years and years of research about him.  Also about the whole "lobotomy" catastrophe (in my opinion) of those years well into the 1950s when it was thought that the procedure was the only way to "cure" mental illness.  The book itself is not particularly well written, again in my opinion.  It seems to jump about somehow.  I am reading it at the same time as my granddaughter who is studying psychology in university right now --- she hopes to go into criminal justice.  We have begun our own book club!!!

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 6/12/2018 1:34 PM ET

Did you see the movie A Beautiful Mind? I always intended to read the book but I never did get around to it.

clariail avatar
Date Posted: 6/12/2018 6:21 PM ET

I finished reading Hellbent by Gregg Hurwitz. I really like this series and saw on the author's FB page that someone is thinking about making a TV series from it. It's really of a suspense/thriller.I

Had been listening to Lethal Licorice by Amanda Flowers but it got really irritating so skipped to the end to see who the killer was. Think it might be better to read colors instead of listening to them. Probably not as irritating, at least for me.

Finished The Netscher Connection (Genevieve Lenard No 11) by Estelle Ryan on Sunday. I love this series. If you've never read it, I would give it a try. The first is usually free on Kindle which where I usually get them.

Started A Deeper Darkness (Samantha Owens No 1) by J.T. Ellison last night and about halfway through. Was looking on my bookshelves this weekend and actually found book 2  sitting there. 

vintagejoy avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medalTour Guide Leader medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 6/12/2018 7:51 PM ET

Becky, I agree with you about the whole lobotomy period.  It was quite wrong and put so many people through such pain and suffering.  Mental illness has had such poor, if not barbaric 'threatment.'  I remember in nursing school I was doing a rotation  in mental health and spent some time at the state mental hospital.  It was awful and one of the patients I was following underwent shock therapy.  She wasn't the only one shocked, I can tell you.  

beanie5 avatar
Date Posted: 6/12/2018 10:25 PM ET

Cynthia --- Hurrah for you having the next Samantha Owens book on your shelf!!!  I enjoyed all of those books and am waiting to see if the series will continue.  I will look into the Lenard series.

Joy --- I have suffered with depression for years and feel so blessed to have this "affliction" today and not 60+ years ago.  No doubt I might have been a candidate for surgery!!  Thankfully mine has always been under control with the new "miracle" anti-depressants available today. 

Charles --- I did see "A Beautiful Mind" --- but I have slept since so I am trying to remember the story line in detail.  Seems Russell Crow starred.  Okay, so I looked it up --- the person Crow was portraying was schizophrenic, but did undergo the "insulin shock" treatment which was a fairly common treatment for mental illness at the time. 

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 6/13/2018 8:54 AM ET

I am reading Man Eater by Marilyn Todd. Set in Ancient Rome. It is a light historical cozy. Not as good as the Steven Saylor series or Lindsey Davis series.

Alice

Spuddie avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 6/15/2018 9:40 AM ET

Currently reading mostly fantasy and sci-fi stuff, but recent mystery reads include Laughing Boy by Stuart Pawson (#8 Charlie Priest mystery), Cold Earth by Ann Cleeves (#7 Shetland mystery) The Murder Room by P.D. James (#12 Adam Dalgliesh mystery)...Current reads: A Passion for Killing by Barbara Nadel (#9 Cetin Ikmen mystery, which is set in Istanbul) on the Kindle, The Funeral Boat by Kate Ellis (#4 Wesley Peterson mystery) in print and listening to The Stonecutter by Camilla Lackberg (#3 Patrik Hedstrom Swedish mystery) in audio. Hmmm...yes, there is a theme. I much prefer British and other foreign mysteries to home-grown American ones. LOL

Cheryl

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 6/15/2018 5:31 PM ET

Finished A Blunt Instrument by Georgette Heyer, good read, and am beginning another Jo Nesbo novel, The Redbreast.  I have found Nesbo's plots, writing and situations very well done so I am looking forward to this one.  Just finished Mules and Men, a classic collection of folk stories and tall tales from the lives of our Negro citizens.  Many are so funny and I find them delightful.

Last Edited on: 6/15/18 9:16 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 6/25/2018 2:05 PM ET

Diamonds are Forever by Ian Fleming. This is my first Fleming.

beanie5 avatar
Date Posted: 6/30/2018 11:55 AM ET

Where are all the "mysterious" people???  I am speaking of myself as well!!!  Just now I am reading, "Why Kill the Innocent" by C.S. Harris.  It is the most recent St.Cyr installment.  It may just be me, but it has seemed a bit slow, however, I have not actually sat down to read for any length of time --- more in fits and starts and I think that automatically slows down any story.

The latest Tracy Crosswhite installment, by Dugoni was just sent to my Kindle this week, so that may be my next read.  The title is, "A Steep Price".  That will bring me back to the present for a while.  Most of the time I am off in some historical mode!!!

It has been very miserably hot here in Oklahoma for several days.  We have broken a record or two!!  I have actually planted some flowers (annuals) by my front porch and at the patio this year!!!  It has been fun.  I had such large gardens in Delaware and have been in such a dark place here in Oklahoma since October 2015, I just did not care.  So now I am back to gardening and feeling life is very likely worth living!!!!  I am relieved to be getting along much better with my emotional state!!!