Discussion Forums - Historical Fiction

Topic: It's June and Time for Summer HF Reads - What Are You Reading?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Subject: It's June and Time for Summer HF Reads - What Are You Reading?
Date Posted: 6/1/2016 11:15 AM ET

I have just started Medicis Daughter: A Novel of Marguerite de Valois by Sophie Perinot. I had read her first book, The Sister Queens,  and thought it was well written and researched. So far the same is true for this one, but I am hoping it doens't get too romancy.

Also, I just finished a nonfiction by Nathanial Philbrick called Valiant Ambition, about George Washington and Benedict Arnold. I thought it was a really well done narrative nonfiction and I love to read about this era in our history. I have The Traitor's Wife on my shelf, too, which is hf about Arnold's wife, Peggy Shipton.

Last Edited on: 6/2/16 7:53 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
Date Posted: 6/2/2016 9:52 AM ET

A couple of weeks ago, after Kelly read (and listened to) An Officer and a Spy, by Robert Harris about the Dreyfus Affair, I also read it and shared her enthusiasm for the book.  We both consider it a 5-star read.  Then I noticed another Robert Harris book on my TBR: Imperium, a novel of Ancient Rome.  I just finished it, book one of a trilogy about Cicero.  Added books 2 & 3 to the WL.  Anyone else have any experience with this author?? 

Linda

Date Posted: 6/2/2016 10:41 AM ET

@ Linda, I read Pompeii by Harris and loved it. I will check out the Cicero trilogy.

Date Posted: 6/2/2016 5:31 PM ET

I read Pompeii a few years back and didn't care for it but I haven't read anything else by that author.  I have started Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein and like it very much so far.

Date Posted: 6/2/2016 6:48 PM ET

I started Code Name Verity a while back and couldn't get into it. But it's on my Kindle so I've decided to give it another try one of these days because it is well-liked by so many.

Date Posted: 6/8/2016 7:01 PM ET

Just finished An Officer and a Spy which I read almost nonstop it was that good. Thanks for the tip, Linda and Kelly!

Date Posted: 6/9/2016 11:07 PM ET

Just finished Stealing Mona Lisa and quite enjoyed it.  Has anyone else read it?  And, I, too, liked Pompeii very much.

I'm about to begin Tatiana and Alexander by Paullina Simons.  Really enjoyed the first one in this trilogy so I hope this one is just as good.

Last Edited on: 6/12/16 8:35 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 6/18/2016 7:20 AM ET

I started one of my favorite historical mystery series, book 4 A Study in Death (Lady Darby, Bk 4) :: Anna Lee Huber

Very well written, engaging plot,location and characters. I recommend starting with book one. Good series to add to you WL.

Date Posted: 6/18/2016 4:39 PM ET

I've started the latest adventure of our hero Uhtred, Warriors of the Storm by Bernard Cornwell.  Uhtred starting to age a little but the outrageous attitude never changes, thank goodness!  I also have the BBC series near the top of my Netflix queue, so I'm excited to see what they did with one of my favorite characters!

Date Posted: 6/19/2016 8:27 PM ET

Just finished Mrs. Roosevelt's Confidante by Susan Elia MacNeal.  I enjoy this light reading historical mystery series for a change of pace.  Always relaxing and fun.  Most enjoyable.  Only one more book to finish for HF mystery reading challenge.  This is going really fast!

Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 6/19/2016 8:38 PM ET

I liked that book a lot too REK. I love books with Eleanor Roosevelt in them

Date Posted: 6/21/2016 6:47 PM ET

I am putting the same comments in here as I did in the M/T forum.

I just finished the third book in the Gower Street Mysteries by M R C Kasasian, titled Death Descends on Saturn Villa. I am absolutely hooked on these books. When I first started reading the first one I kept thinking to myself that the author had to be out of his mind. His main character, Sidney Grice (one of them - there are two MCs) has to be the most obnoxious, irrascible curmudgeon one could think of. He's brilliant though. March Middleton who is his ward is quite witty but very sweet and kind and she sure knows how to put up with Sidney. The mysteries are very well thought out and even though I find myself laughing from time to time, I can hardly put the book down. Guess it's safe to say that they are page turners for me - mainly because I cannot imagine what will happen next.

Many reviewers seem to compare them to Holmes and Watson and there is a similarity. These take place in approximately the same time period and the author can certainly describe the English, their habits and their country very well. Every time I open one of these books I just wonder what I am in store for this time.

Date Posted: 6/21/2016 8:27 PM ET

That does sound good Jeanne!

I read The Hanged Man (Her Majesty's Psychic Service, Bk 1) by P. N. Elrod earlier this month.  I enjoyed it quite a bit.  So far I've read 7 HF books this year.  I'm actually ahead on something!  YAY  My goal is to read at least 12 HF books.

Date Posted: 6/23/2016 12:09 PM ET

I started Where Shadows Dance by CS Harris - absolutely love this series!!!

Date Posted: 6/26/2016 11:42 AM ET

I have finally gotten around to starting Hanging Mary by Susan Higginbotham.  Good so far.  Also read The Moon in the Palace by Weina Dai Randel about Empress Wu.  Really liked this one and have the 2nd one sitting in my massive TBR pile.  Not sure how I'm getting any reading done with school but I force myself to sneak in a few pages every night.  I think the next patron that walks into one of my libraries and says "It must be nice to read all day" is going to be sent home with a copy of my 23 page midterm!

Date Posted: 6/28/2016 10:24 AM ET

I've just finished up reading Fin Gall by James L. Nelson.  It's the first book in a three part series about the Vikings raiding Ireland...meh.  I think probably because I just recently finished the latest Uhtred novel by Beernard Cornwell, Warriors of the Storm, it really suffered in comparison.  The time frame of the book is similar but the characters are no where near as compelling and the writing is just fair.  I doubt very much if I will read the other two in the series.

Last Edited on: 6/28/16 10:24 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
Date Posted: 7/1/2016 10:02 AM ET

Into my last book for the historical mystery challenge - a novel by Arthur Upfield.  Interesting so far.