Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Love & Romance Love & Romance

Topic: Looking for a Good New author of historical romance

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
wiserightwinger01 avatar
Date Posted: 7/3/2007 10:34 PM ET

Well, you might like her.  I wasn't trying to tell you to not try her at all. :) 

I agree with the other girls about Julia Quinn, though - the woman is a fantastic writer!  Her characters always have wit, even the females, which makes me happy.  I hate when the male gets all the good lines. ;)

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 7/5/2007 1:21 AM ET

Claudia, I know exactly what you mean.  I sent The Raven Prince along to another lucky member, but I still think about it all the time.  And since I've been waiting for The Leopard Prince for a while now, it looks like you aren't the only one who's feeling a little but selfish!  ;-)  I guess I'll be making a trip to Barnes and Noble!

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 7/5/2007 6:43 PM ET

well, here's another point of view ... I really like her (Eloisa James).  Can't remember off the top which I've read in particular, but I know I enjoyed them.   One woman's opinion.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 7/21/2007 1:07 AM ET

try candace camp  and virginia henley

Janjunebug avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 7/21/2007 6:44 PM ET

Second woman's opinion:  I really, really like Eloisa James.  Her stories are "different;" very different from some of the "fluff" that is so typical among historical romance which, by the way, I am not opposed to, but just tire of it sometimes.  Eloisa James is a Shakespeare professor.  She is a graduate of Harvard, Oxford, and has a Ph. D. from Yale.  Currently, she's an associate professor and Director of Graduate Studies in the English Dept. at Fordham University in NYC.  They say that her "double life" is a source of fascination to the media and her readers.  Maybe her educational background is why her writing is "different."

She has a huge, huge fan base who dearly love her historical romances. 

She has published 12 historical romances and 2 novellas. 

I would suggest you give her a try.  Perhaps, like Marissa, you might hate her books.  You could start with her "Pleasures" triology:  POTENT PLEASURES, MIDNIGHT PLEASURES, AND ENCHANTING PLEASURES, in that order.  I believe those were her first three books published.  Or you might try her most recent book which, I believe, is THE TAMING OF THE DUKE.  Many of her books have characters who cross over into her other books.

Now that I've defended Eloisa James, I'd like to recommend some more Historical Romance authors.  I read Historical Romance exclusively and, since my preferred setting is England or Scotland, preferably Regency-era, I'll also suggest (as someone else did) Mary Balogh  who is a very prolific writer.  Her fans collect her books; look how many are on the PBS club wishlist.  Her older books, I think, are usually better than her more recent ones, but I like all her books.    Julia Justiss is very good; I recommend  THE UNTAMED HEIRESS, released last November.  Edith Layton is a great HR writer.  Her three most recent books are ALAS, MY LOVE, GYPSY LOVER, and FOR THE LOVE OF A PIRATE. 

Someone else mentioned Jo Beverley.  She is fabulous.  Many of her books are connected, part of her "Company of Rogues" series. Those are NOT to be missed.   And I don't want to forget Mary Jo Putney.  Excellent also, especially her "Fallen Angels" series, of which there are seven books.  I have just finished her latest publication, DANGEROUS TO KNOW, which is a combined re-print of one of her older books and one of her novellas.

I could go on and on naming HR authors:  Catherine Coulter has some excellent historicals; there's Elizabeth Thornton, Samantha James, Julia London, Joan Wolf; Adele Ashworth, Hope Tarr, Liz Carlyle, and, not to ever be forgotten, Stephanie Laurens.

And I recently read CLAIMING THE COURTESAN by Anna Campbell.  Loved it.  Her upcoming one is already on my wish list.

Also, I found THE LILY BRAND by Sandra Schwab to be very, very interesting.  A dark romance; not for the squeamish.  I have her newest release, CASTLE OF THE WOLF, on the way to me now.

Jan

Catspaw avatar
Date Posted: 7/21/2007 10:51 PM ET

Jacqui D'Allesandro has quite a few good historicals - mostly set in the Regency period - several on my shelf. 

Jayne Ann Krentz writing as Amanda Quick has some excellent historicals too - both her early and late stuff.  One of the few authors I pre-order in hardback.

ncflyergal avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 7/24/2007 3:28 PM ET

Bumping to get rid of  the "deals" posts.

kijero avatar
Date Posted: 8/9/2007 5:02 PM ET

Candace Camp and if she didn't write these I can't think of the author right now. There is a series about a ghost that helps out people unintentionally because he's trying to get rid of them from the house. One of the books is titled 7B. The ghosts relative owns the house and rents out rooms.

Also have many different authors who write historicals on my bookshelf that you can check out.

nashvillethecat avatar
Date Posted: 8/9/2007 5:42 PM ET

That are some great suggestions in here.  I have several names of new authors to try.

Some of my fav's are Mary Balough, Julia Quinn, Judity McNaught, Joan Wolf.  I currently have 2 Mary Balough on my shelf (Slightly Married and Slightly Dangerous) if anyone wants 2/1 deal.

Janjunebug avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 8/9/2007 8:02 PM ET

Kim, that was Stella Cameron who wrote 7B, ABOUT ADAM,  THE ORPHAN, ALL SMILES, and MORE & MORE that are all connected.   Some of her books are quite lusty.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 8/9/2007 9:36 PM ET

I love Julia Quinn, but I wouldn't put her up there for historical detail. Her strength is more the wit of her characters. But if you like Quinn, I can also recommend Anne Gracie. Gracie even has tortured heroines!

For historical detail, try any of Jo Beverley's works, but especially her Malloran (Georgian) series and her medievals. Also, Judith Ivory (aka Judy Cuevas) is wonderful. I particularly like the books like "The Beast" that are set in the Victorian Era.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 8/12/2007 1:07 PM ET

Catherine Coulter - she does a historical line and a contemporary line.

Page: