Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - USPS Postal Regulations USPS Postal Regulations

Topic: Lost books, PO end?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Subject: Lost books, PO end?
Date Posted: 4/9/2010 4:03 PM ET

I know about what happens with the system when a book goes lost, but I'm curious to know what the PO does with books, movies, gifts, etc that have lost the return and sending address.  Do they sell them or let the employees have them? 

Anyone know what happens to all the stuff that goes "lost?"

fangrrl avatar
Member of the Month medal
Date Posted: 4/9/2010 8:39 PM ET

It's my understanding there is a Lost & Found collection point, and Atlanta comes to mind (although it has a different name).  There's a form postal customers can fill out and submit JIC their missing mail turns up in Lost & Found.

mizmel avatar
Date Posted: 4/9/2010 9:25 PM ET

Atlanta is a mail recovery center for the severly damaged that cannot be delivered (seperated from wrapper and can't determine who to or who from).  Search usps.com for how to make a claim to such to see if they can connect your with you lost item.  The employees do not under any circumstances get to have the lost items.  Several years ago there was an eBay program to auction off lost items that were unclaimed  - don't believe that occurs any longer.  For some undeliverable type items (ie. diaper/formula samples addressed to a non-existant address) may be donated to local shelters.  And there is some amount of more "no value" type items which are just thrown out if they are undeliverable.

Last Edited on: 4/9/10 9:55 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 4/11/2010 9:14 AM ET

They still hold auctions in Atlanta. http://www.usps.com/auctions/ April 21st is the next one.

Every once in awhile they hold book auctions. The last ad I read said the auction was in Atlanta and pickup was in Minneapolis!

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 7/15/2010 11:56 AM ET

Is there really a way to file to get your things back? I just received a package which should have had three books, but which contained two. It looks as if the package were ripped open in transit and then re-taped.

But when I search on the USPS site, all I find is a way to make an claim on an insured item - this wasn't insured, I'm not trying to collect money, I'd just like to be re-connected to the lost book....

melanied avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medalTour Guide Leader medalBook Bazaar Coordinator medal
Date Posted: 7/15/2010 1:40 PM ET

Elizabeth, go to the Help Center and search for "empty envelope" and you will find a document on what to do when you receive an empty envelope in the mail. I know your's wasn't empty, but the contact/filing information should be the same.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 7/15/2010 1:48 PM ET

Thanks so much! I don't know why I didn't search the Help Center - I usually do - thanks for your help.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 7/15/2010 9:39 PM ET

Does this really mean that if the sender claims a book with a specific title was "lost", and the USPS has one in its "separated from mailer" category, the might actually return the copy back to the sender?

Generic Profile avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 7/15/2010 11:18 PM ET

I suppose it's possible if they can find a book that matches the lost complaint. 

I personally probably wouldn't bother with a claim to find one book. The value of it just wouldn't seem worth the time for me to put into tracking it down. 

Generic Profile avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 7/18/2010 9:09 AM ET

Yes, I have seen books and other things returned through claims and inquiry. The local post office should be able to email a claim for you (if they have a computer). You can email through the web site or call.

Stuff found in the mail goes to a local claims and inquiry office for a short time to see if it is reported. Then it is sent to the mail recovery center.

Motleigh avatar
Date Posted: 7/21/2010 7:05 AM ET

Regular merchandise does not go to the mail recovery center. only "special" items. i.e. clothes: a box with a shirt and a pair of jeans would be kept localy for a time but a wedding dress or a leather jacket would be sent to the mail recovery center. MMP books would not be sent to the MRC, only valueble or signed books.

riksny avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 7/21/2010 12:35 PM ET

I think the dollar value for the MRC is over $10.  Unless they changed it.