From the help center:
If you received a book you didn't request (a title you don't recognize), most likely the sender put the wrong book into the PBS wrapper with your address on it.
If you received the wrong version of a book you requested read There is a problem with a book I received! for instructions.
If you received an extra copy of a book you did request (two copies of the same book) read I received 2 copies of the same book! for instructions.
If you received a book whose title you don't recognize (you did not request any version of this book), read below:
- If this was a single-book shipment, the book you received may have been requested by another member, who may have gotten your book. It is also possible that the sender reprinted a wrapper she or he used to send you a book in the past, and sent this book to you instead of to its proper requestor.
- If this is a multiple-book shipment, the sender may have sent you a book (or books) intended for another member, or may have mixed up a Box-O-Books shipment.
- Other possibilities include: the book did not come from PBS at all (it could have been an online purchase), it was sent as part of a Game swap, or it was sent to you as a "gift" from another member. If a PBS wrapper was used to send the book, then the "outside PBS" possibility is not likely. For a gift or a Game swap, the member could have used Send to a Friend or Custom DC to generate a PBS wrapper.
How to find the sender of the book to sort this out:
- Go to the En Route to Me tab in My Account. You can get there by clicking My Account in the toolbar at the top of the site, and then clicking the En Route to Me tab (behind the Books to mail tab).
- Compare the state of origin on the package return address with the state of origin of each book on your En Route to Me tab in My Account. The state shows on the right of the transaction, in the "speech bubble" containing your address.
- and sent your book to another requestor, she can offer each of you credit or postage to send the books to one another; the sender can provide the addresses in Personal Messages. When each of you get the correct books, you can mark them received.
- and she still has the book she was supposed to send you, she can offer to send the correct book to you. You are not obligated to send the extra book back to her, but it is a nice thing to do if the sender is a new member.
- If she didn't send you this book, check your Transaction Archive, as described below.
- If there is no "matching state" on your En Route to Me tab, go to your Transaction Archive, as described below.
- Go to your Transaction Archive, by clicking the link at the top of the My Account page, in the yellow bar.
- Scroll down the list of recent transactions to compare the senders' states of origin with the state of origin on the return address on your package.
- This may be easier to do if you sort your Transaction Archive to show Completed Transactions only, in Descending order.
- she can offer you credit or postage to send the book to the proper requestor. The sender can provide the address in a Personal Message.
- If this book was sent to you in place of a book you requested, then when you get the book you requested, you can mark it received:
- Do this from your My Account main page as usual if the correct book arrives before it is declared "lost".
- Do this from your Transaction Archive if the correct book arrives after it has been declared "lost" (see I received a book that was 'lost in the mail' for more instructions).
- Be sure to remove the book from your Wish List after you have received it (it will have gone onto your Wish List if it was declared "lost").
- If she didn't, and you are a Boxer, next check your Box-O-Books transactions.
- Go to Box-O-Books by clicking Box-O-Books in the dropdown menu under Community in the toolbar at the top of the site.
- There is also the possibility that you ordered a book online (e.g., from Amazon.com), and this was an incorrect shipment.
- There is also the possibility that you received this book from a Game swap you are playing
- You can ask the moderator(s) of any Game swap(s) you are playing about this
- There is also the possibility that you received this book as a "Random Act of Kindness"
- In this case, you generally have to wait until the kind person reveals him/herself.
DO NOT mark the book received, but do PM the sender and ask about it.