Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Can you make your entire profile private?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
bookbuggg avatar
Standard Member medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medal
Subject: Can you make your entire profile private?
Date Posted: 3/24/2017 3:51 PM ET

Also, is there a way to block pm's?

And if you put your shelf on private, people can still order from you right? Can you put the # of forum posts to private too?

Last Edited on: 3/24/17 4:31 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
lovejaneeyre avatar
Date Posted: 3/24/2017 4:31 PM ET

I remember seeing a private profile, when clicked on something it said this member has chosen not to display their profile.  I do not remember if there was a pm button. You could try it to see what happens.   The result would show up in the thread. 

Last Edited on: 3/24/17 4:32 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
sarap avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 3/24/2017 4:46 PM ET

There is no way to block PMs.

If someone is sending you unwanted PMs, you should ask them to stop, and then report them if they don't. "I prefer not to communicate thruough PM with you. Please stop sending me messages." If you already have asked not to be PM'd, then report them to PBS.

If you hide your bookshelf, you will only receive FIFO orders from it, nobody would be able to look at it and order books directly from you.

If you make your Wish List private, it will be impossible for other players in games to know exactly what to offer to you.

Everyone can make whatever they want private, of course, but I feel that if someone is harassing or bothering you, it would be better to get them kicked off the site, rather than compromise on the way you have your account.

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 3/24/2017 5:18 PM ET

Yeah, think twice about making your wishlist private.  I just got a glut of rarely posted book from one particular genre.  I had so many of them that I only posted about half of them (all wishlisted), then looked at people's bookshelves to see if they were wishing for any of the ones I hadn't posted yet (many of them were).  There were about 4 wishers who had their wishlists private.  I would guess that I had some of the books they were wishing for, but they lost out because I couldn't see the list. 

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 3/24/2017 5:31 PM ET

Under your Profile tab (under your My Account), there's a link to Privacy Controls.  Not quite at the half-way point, you'll see "My Profile" and next to it, is a drop-down choice of either "Enabled" or "Disabled".

If you don't want to be that drastic with disabling your whole profile, then there are choices below that option to pick and choose.  And, of course, you could do either the drastic disabling or a bunch of the individual choices, and only do it temporarily, unhiding what you wish at a later date.

Others have given good advice about handling PM's from members that you don't want to get PM's from - since it doesn't look like you can block any member's PM's.

bookbuggg avatar
Standard Member medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medal
Date Posted: 3/24/2017 5:46 PM ET

Good points ..thank you. I love PMs..most members are sweet. I thought for the one that might not be, blocking that 1 person would work.

katewisdom avatar
Date Posted: 3/24/2017 6:26 PM ET

I don't have much (anything) to add that is an actual help, but I'm sorry that you're being harrassed and I hope that the site helps you take care of it.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 3/24/2017 6:40 PM ET

" Can you put the # of forum posts to private too? "

If referring to your profile, yes if you do the drastic disabling of your profile.  However, on every post you make on the forums, the total number you've made shows on the 3rd line on the right side.  So, a person could see or find out that number easily.

classicana avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Coordinator medalBook Data Coordinator medal
Date Posted: 3/24/2017 8:50 PM ET

I have two suggestions if you don't wish to report the behavior to Admin.  First, you can delete PMs without reading them.  If the 'offending' member checks, they will see that the PM(s) hasn't been read.  That alone might get them to stop.  The other thing, since I have a feeling this is also a forum problem for you, is to click on 'Ignore this member' in the forums.  Just pull up one of the member's posts and it's in the bottom of the post, far right.  I'm quite sure that only you know that you are ignoring that member's posts.  I've used it a few times over the years when I just didn't want to read one more complaint from someone who didn't want an explanation and didn't care to be pacified.   cheeky

I have to say though, that personally, I would report it.

IlliniAlum83 avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal
Date Posted: 3/29/2017 9:10 AM ET

A few years ago I reported the person who was harassing me via PM.  She is actually an acquaintance and had joined based upon my recommendation. PBS wasn't helpful.........but she didn't like the PBS rules and format (thought 'swapping' meant she would get her books back later) so shortly thereafter quit which solved my problem.

I love the 'ignore' button and have over 20 members set to ignore.

Patouie avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Coordinator medalBook Data Approver medalTour Guide Asst. Coord. medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Cruise Attendee medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 3/29/2017 2:37 PM ET

If you clearly ask the person not to contact you any more, and they continue contacting you, I've found the Admin Team to be very responsive.