Discussion Forums - eBook readers eBook readers

Topic: Microsoft invests in B&N Nook

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Subject: Microsoft invests in B&N Nook
Date Posted: 4/30/2012 1:07 PM ET

Article here.

Not sure what to think about this move. Are they going to turn the Nook into a Microsoft system? Or is this a deal to provide syncing/backup to computers?

A second link.

Edited to add second link and fix the first one!

Last Edited on: 4/30/12 1:59 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Date Posted: 4/30/2012 4:30 PM ET

I don't think this will change anything from the platform perspective (at least not in the short term.) This is just a way for Microsoft to get into the ebook business and stick it to Amazon and Apple. Before this, B&N had lots of question marks with its investors but not anymore (shares went up like 70% after this.)

I laughed out loud at the title of this article in BusinessWeek: Enemy of My Enemy: Microsoft Hearts Barnes & Noble

Last Edited on: 4/30/12 4:31 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Date Posted: 4/30/2012 5:08 PM ET

*snort* That is hilarious!

I think you're right. The more I find, the more I just see Microsoft and B&N working together to get a larger share of the e-book market.

Date Posted: 4/30/2012 6:09 PM ET

It'll be interesting to see what happens, if anything, to Fictionwise.

Date Posted: 5/1/2012 5:25 PM ET

What they said on the news last night was first Microsoft will work on the online store experience.  They know now many folks like to browse books in person still.  I'm not sure how they bring that experience to the online store.

I wonder if this means a Windows 8 reader is on the way.

Several months ago there was a story that B&N was thinking of spinning off the Nook division.  This seems to be a move in that direction, but not entirely.  Microsoft will have something like 17.6% stake.  (Odd number!)

Date Posted: 5/1/2012 5:30 PM ET

I wonder if this means a Windows 8 reader is on the way.

I'm thinking they'll just reprogram the Nooks with the new Windows 8. Which is what some are speculating.

Date Posted: 5/1/2012 6:12 PM ET

How does MIcrosoft dance with Android? I'm not familiar. Do they work together?

Date Posted: 5/1/2012 7:07 PM ET

How does MIcrosoft dance with Android?

According to DH, they're not even in the same building.

Competitors.

It could probably still be hacked in some way, eventually, but it wouldn't run anything Android.

Date Posted: 5/1/2012 8:38 PM ET

Some New Nook info...

Barnes & Noble's Nook e-readers getting NFC, says CEO

And some discussion on what NFC is, here....

Mobileread

I wasn't actually sure what it was at first.

Date Posted: 5/1/2012 8:50 PM ET

BFD. This means nothing to me and has no use.

Where is my enchanced shelving, I ask you? Who gives a crap about an embedded chip? I want my shelves.

Date Posted: 5/1/2012 8:55 PM ET

Where is my enchanced shelving, I ask you? Who gives a crap about an embedded chip? I want my shelves.

That's one of the huge reasons why I pick the Sony Touch over the Nook Touch. The Nooks a good machine, but it really sucks to put a ton of books on it and not be able to do simple sorting. The Sony does collections through Calibre, and I just adore that. Otherwise, I'd figure they're pretty even.

I'm really not sure why they're working on NFC at all. I guess they want you to bring your Nook with you while you're at B&N and buy ebooks from there with it.

But that's not something I really see myself doing with an eReader.

Date Posted: 5/2/2012 6:13 AM ET

The Nooks a good machine, but it really sucks to put a ton of books on it and not be able to do simple sorting.

If I had to give a complaint about the NC, this would be it. The more books I get, the more of a pain scrolling becomes. I have set up several shelves for various classifications/genres but it would sure be nifty to be able to at least alphabetize within those shelves.

ETA: Unless I'm not understanding the complete usage for NFC, I'm with Nancy, BFD. I don't need my book buying experiences "synchronized." I read some of the comments and many of them echoed what I was thinking -- let's improve the actual reading experience before getting fancy.

Now if I could have MS 8 instead of Android, I'd be in hog heaven! I wonder if they could do that with one of their simple updates?

Last Edited on: 5/2/12 6:17 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
Date Posted: 5/2/2012 6:27 AM ET

No, that can't be done with an update. It would have to be a completely new e-reader.

I'd be interested in a Nook running Windows 8, too!

Date Posted: 5/2/2012 12:56 PM ET

My biggest problem with the shelving on the Nook Color is this: once you put it on a shelf, it still shows up on the main library page.  Now maybe that's fine for most folks but I shelve when I'm done reading a book so for it to stay on the library too is irritating.  I don't need to see the same book in 3 different places!  I've taken to downloading my keepers onto my SD card and shelving them into folders, like: Paranormal, Historical etc.

Date Posted: 5/2/2012 2:05 PM ET

I agree with someone above; by FAR the biggest improvement B&N could make to the Nook at this point, would be to improved shelving.  I'd be ecstatic to be able to do it on-line in my Nook Library, and then sync it to the device.  It's so tedius editing your shelves on the divice.  They need to have all your general books on the left, the list of shelves on the right, and you just drag and drop, like e-mail folders. 

The other thing, of course, would be improving their on-line browzing.  Seriously, I browze at Amazon and then go buy at B&N, if I decide to.  B&N would lose 99% of my e-book purchases if Amazon dropped their DRM so that I could read their stuff on my Nook with no hassle.  I prefer the Nook over the Kindle, but not by much. If Amazon dropped their DRM, my next e-reader would be a Kindle. No question.

Date Posted: 5/2/2012 4:00 PM ET

Stocks are already coming down for both companies. I guess, after the initial announcement, other people are also wondering what Microsoft joining with B&N will ultimately do, if they aren't going to help improve the Nook.

Date Posted: 5/2/2012 6:51 PM ET

I have a Simple Touch. A simple, basic machine. I like it that way. Very light, very small, no backlight. It does exactly what I want it to (except the shelving). I don't have it rooted. I haven't hacked it and put apps on it. Just reading. I buy my stuff online and then turn on the wifi and download it. No bells and whistles.

So what do they do then with this? If the Nook is based on an Android platform and the fancier machines actually function with an Android platform, are they going to begin  manufacturing with a Microsoft platform now? What about support for the Android models? I understand the price on every variation of these is cheap, but looking back, had I known the shelving was going to be so crappy on the NST, I wouldn't have traded in my N1. There's a weight difference and I like the shiny new thing, but not enough to buy a third one when the first one was just fine. However, B&N quit doing updates and support for the N1 about the time they wanted to sell everybody an NST. Are they going to quit supporting the existing Nooks now in favor of buying a new Microsoft version? I think that might be the point where I would buy all of the self published unique to B&N authors/books that I like and then transition over to a Kindle and Kindle purchases and back everything up in Calibre so that if the NST ever gets left in the dark, I'll be able to access all my stuff and load it on a brand new Kindle. But, regardless, I'm done buying a new ereader when they upgrade. One time I did it and it made me feel stupid. Not doing it again. As long as it's working, I'm reading off my current one.

Date Posted: 5/2/2012 8:21 PM ET

If the Nook is based on an Android platform and the fancier machines actually function with an Android platform, are they going to begin  manufacturing with a Microsoft platform now?

That's the big question. No one's said anything officially, but since Microsoft is coming out with a new Tablet platform that's supposed to run with their desktop version, so that they all tie in together, and they don't have their own tablet/ereader, then it'd seem strange if they weren't talking about using the Nook equipment already in place to run their new OS on.

What about support for the Android models?

I'm sure they'd probably drop it. Which isn't unusual. Most older models of anything get dropped on support issues. Which just means that as long as your Nook Touch is running fine, you'd be good to go. You just wouldn't hold your breath when it comes to firmware updates, and you couldn't plan on copying anything from the old device to the new one.

Since the handhelds change so rapidly, I don't know any of them that support out-dated models. Except Amazon, but I'm not sure how much support they're giving the original models. Sony tends to forget the old model exists as soon as a new one comes out.

I think that might be the point where I would buy all of the self published unique to B&N authors/books that I like and then transition over to a Kindle and Kindle purchases and back everything up in Calibre so that if the NST ever gets left in the dark, I'll be able to access all my stuff and load it on a brand new Kindle.

There may not be that many unique to B&N. I think they get all their indy stuff from Smashwords and various other publishers, and most of those are on Fictionwise (Bought by B&N a few years ago). I don't think they carry many exclusives that you can't get somewhere else easy enough.

Backing up purchased books is always important. I've had books on a lot of different hand-held devices, and still have my books from the stores that closed down that I bought for devices that have long since bit the dust. I think you're always better off to plan ahead of the tech, and save in open source when ever you can. Hardware changes come to fast to think any of them will last for long.

Last Edited on: 5/2/12 8:22 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Date Posted: 5/2/2012 8:40 PM ET

I'll be able to access all my stuff and load it on a brand new Kindle.

Oh, and just look into how the Kindle sorts books. IMHO, it's way worse than the Nook.

On the Nook I can put stuff in directories on a SD card and navigate over to the various folders of my own making to find what I'm looking for. Takes a bit of roaming around, but they're there. I do that through the USB conneciton just like I sort/move/copy stuff on my regular files on my computer.

IIRC on the Kindle Touch you can't do that. No user SD cards can be used with them. I don't remember that I could get into the Kindle hardware to create or manage folders, and found that the machine locked up when I go near 400 in a on-machine catalog listing. I had to use Calibre to send the files to the Kindle with the title in a certain order, such as {Tags} - {Title} - {Author} to sort them into main catagories, then titles, then author, to give them any sort of order so I could find stuff. Annoying, because the titles were then too long to read well on the kindle screen.

I think the Kindle apps also suck when it comes to dealing with large libraries. I don't know how the Kindle Fire handles catagories.

On the Sonys, with Calibre, I have all my books tagged with the collections I want them stored in, and then tweak the settings in the progam to only take collection information from the Tag row. The Sony automatically recognizes the collections when they're loaded, so I can search the main book list or go into collections. Plus they can use a 32gb card. There is a strange glitch were the first listings in a collection say "removing", so haven't figured what triggers that yet. Seems it may be related to a glitch between the two Sony databases, the one kept for books in main memory, and the ones kept on the SD card. I think sometimes the card and the memory may tag books with the same ID number, causing confusion.

But with 2gig internal, that's plenty for most people to never need a card. I've got one Sony stuffed to the gills*, now with 20,661 books/files in 307 collections. Searches are a little slow, but so far it's chugging along just fine. I have found it likes the cards with the slow speeds (class 4 or 6) , and not the ones with the super speed (class 10). I think there's something in the superspeed SD cards it doesn't like.

So check out what people say about collections before jumping into something worse.

(*Because I can, and it amuses me to try to break them. devil If they say they can take a 32gb card, they damn well should expect me to give it a try. But my SD card isn't even half full on it yet. )

Date Posted: 5/2/2012 9:01 PM ET

I don't know how the Kindle Fire handles catagories.

You totally don't want to go there. There is no category or collection or shelf type ability at all on the Fire. Which a lot of people complain about. It doesn't bother me, because I have maybe a dozen personal documents on it, and a dozen Kindle books. So they are on one page. The nice thing is that you can view your covers, not just a list of titles like the e-ink Kindles. Makes it easy to find stuff, and excellent to use to go through archives. But the Kindle app on the Fire is just that, an app like you would use on an Android tablet. (I also have coolreader on there but I haven't messed with sorting via that - it doesn't seem as friendly as it is on the Nook Color and the Sony)

I have a 16 GB card in my T1 and almost 5000 books. Runs great. My card is no where near full but I probably won't add any more books for awhile. I usually use coolreader on the Sony.

Date Posted: 5/3/2012 11:37 AM ET

I didn't realize shelving in all the e-readers was so bad. I thought it was only the apps, which have no shelving capability AT ALL (except iBooks.) It's good that I don't have as many books as you guys (and that I have 5 separate reading apps) because I'd go crazy otherwise.