Fun mystery set in Concord, Mass., center of the 19th century Transcendalist movement.
The first book in the mystery series with Homer Kelly and Mary Morgan. There is a secret that turns Concord, Massachusetts from a living museum of transcendental America to a dangerous place. This is not only a good mystery but also a learning experience of the Transcendental movement.
Set in New England, a classic cozy mystery. New York Times says "I've never read a mystery novel that makes more loving and evocative use of its locale than this one" Published as a Murder Ink series entry.
1st in the series, although they can be read independently, as I did. I read everyone and couldn't wait to pick up the next. I have all on my bookshelf as of this writing. Loved it!
The chronological order of the books is:
The Homer Kelly novels
* The Transcendental Murder (1964) aka The Minuteman Murder
* Dark Nantucket Noon (1975)
* The Memorial Hall Murder (1978)
* Natural Enemy (1982)
* Emily Dickinson Is Dead (1984)
* Good and Dead (1986)
* Murder at the Gardner (1988)
* The Dante Game (1991)
* God in Concord (1992)
* Divine Inspiration (1993)
* The Shortest Day: Murder at the Revels (1995)
* Dead as a Dodo (1996)
* The Face on the Wall (1998)
* The Thief of Venice (1999)
* Murder at Monticello (2001)
* The Escher Twist (2002)
* The Deserter: Murder at Gettysburg (2003)
* Steeplechase (2005)