Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Missing book

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Subject: Missing book
Date Posted: 9/5/2017 8:49 PM ET

I got a wl book offered to me and I accepted.   It's package arrived today with no book.  The person had put the book in a manilla envelope with no tape.  Just the one on the envelope.

I marked it Rawaped with missing book per PBS guidelines but I am frustrated that i am out a credit because they didn't wrap it appropriately.  

Just bummed because I wanted that book.

Date Posted: 9/5/2017 10:02 PM ET

Did you ask for your credit back? I would have if it was inadequately wrapped. I feel your frustration, especially with a WL book. If you weren't returned to your place in the WL line, contact PBS and request that you are.

Date Posted: 9/5/2017 10:15 PM ET

That one did not have the option to do so.

Date Posted: 9/5/2017 11:09 PM ET

I sometimes get books in packages which are so flimsy I think the sender is actually daring the post office to get them to me.  It's almost as if the sender thinks adding some packing tape will boost the weight to another postage level. I swear one day I'll receive a book wrapped in tissue paper.

Date Posted: 9/6/2017 12:32 AM ET

If you did the RWAP with missing book, then you will automatically get your credit back when the book goes lost.

So, no need to worry about it.

PBS just doesn't cancel the transaction when you mark it RWAP for this type of loss, because in some cases of missing books, they could still arrive.

So, at the end of the mailing period, the book will go lost, you will get your credit back, and you won't be out anything.

That's why PBS does not let you ask for your credit back from the sender. It's not appropriate in this situition where the system will do it automatically.

Date Posted: 9/6/2017 3:00 AM ET

I thought with RWAP it is up to the sender to decide whether or not to return the credit. Did not think PBS got involved in RWAP. Since no book was received, why mark it RWAP since it was not received. If not received, the credit is returned by PBS and the position in line restored. 

Date Posted: 9/6/2017 6:43 AM ET

Update the sender sent me a credit.   I have to wait for the book to go lost to get my place on the wl again but I unheld the other copied for now to see if that helps.

Date Posted: 9/6/2017 11:48 AM ET

The sender should file a lost mail form here. USPS-Lost Book

When you receive your credit back from PBS please return the senders credit. It would be unfair to keep them both.

Date Posted: 9/6/2017 1:29 PM ET

I thought with RWAP it is up to the sender to decide whether or not to return the credit. Did not think PBS got involved in RWAP. Since no book was received, why mark it RWAP since it was not received. If not received, the credit is returned by PBS and the position in line restored. 

Mary, there are multiple reasons for RWAPs. PBS treats them differently.

In the case of a missing book from a wrapper, even if the person receiving the empty wrapper marks the book "RWAP Missing Book" ... because they didn't actually receive the book, PBS does not actually mark the book received. It stays on the "Books Mailed to Me" page until the "lost in the mail date" at which time the system automatically marks the book lost and the requestor receives their credit back.

So, PBS actually works the same whether or not people actually use the "RWAP Missing Book" feature. If they don;t ever mark the book at all, it goes lost and they get their credit back. If they use "RWAP Missing Book", PBS does the EXACT same thing, except that the RWAP PM gets sent to the sender letting them know what happened.

It is NOT approprioate to ask the sender for the credit back, as the sender will NOT receive a credit for mailing the book when it gets marked lost in the mail.

See here for the PBS rules.

To the OP: Yes, you should give that credit back to the sender. You will gets yours back when the book goes lost.

Last Edited on: 9/6/17 1:30 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Date Posted: 9/6/2017 4:08 PM ET

Thanks. Sara good to know.

Last Edited on: 9/6/17 4:14 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Date Posted: 9/6/2017 6:56 PM ET

Already done this morning.  To me this wasn't about the credit it was about the disappointment in not getting a book I have been Waiting for.