Discussion Forums - Mystery & Thrillers

Topic: Mystery Challenge Lists/Updates Thread

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Date Posted: 1/24/2009 11:25 AM ET

This is the first time I've done a book challenge!  :)

1. Read one mystery/thriller from an author you've never read before.  Antiques Roadkill - Barbara Allen

2. Read one myster/thriller that was written before the year you were born. The Maltese Falcon

3.  Read one historical mystery.   

3a. If your regularly read historical mysteries, read one set in a place or time you've never read about before. Kilt Dead - Kaitlyn Dunnet

4. Read a mystery that is at least 400 pages long.  O Jerusalem - Laurie King  (420) 

5. Read one mystery written first in another language & translated to English.

6. Read one mystery were one of the main characters is an animalSanta Claws - Rita Mae Brown

7.  Read a new release, something published within the last six monthsEggs in Purgatory - Laura Childs 1/09

8. Everyone deserves a second chance--read a mystery by an author you previously tried reading and didn't care for. Larceny & Old Lace - Tamar Myers

9. Read a myster set in an exotic location--that is to say, other than the USA, Canada or UK.

10. Read a mystery with the word "Blood" or "Bloody" in the title.  The Blood Ballad  -  Rett MacPherson

BONUS: Complete a series--read to the end of a "dead" series.  Turing Hopper series - Donna Andrews (4)

1. You've Got Murder
  2. Click Here for Murder
  3. Access Denied
  4. Delete All Suspects

Last Edited on: 8/2/09 6:44 PM ET - Total times edited: 10
Date Posted: 1/24/2009 8:29 PM ET

Here are mine. I will add to the list  as I get to them.

1. Read one mystery/thriller from an author you've never read before.   LEADING AN ELEGANT DEATH   Paula Carter

2. Read one mystery that was written before the year you were born.   CAT AMONG THE PIGEONS  Agatha Christie 

3. Read one historical mystery. (Set during or before--shall we say, WW II, just as an arbitrary cutoff.)   THE ALEHOUSE MURDERS  Maureen Ash

3 (a). If you regularly read historical mysteries, read one set in a place or time that you've never read about before.

4. Read a mystery that is at least 400 pages long.

5. Read one mystery written first in another language and translated to English.

6. Read one mystery where one of the main characters is an animal.

7. Read a new release--something published within the past six months.   Eggs In Purgatory .....Laura Childs

8. Everyone deserves a second chance--read a mystery by an author you previously tried reading and didn't care for.  The Last Suppers  .. Diane Mott Davidson

9. Read a mystery set in an exotic location--that is to say, other than the USA, Canada or UK. 

10. Read a mystery with the word "Blood" or "Bloody" in the title.

BONUS: Complete a series--read to the end of a 'dead' series, one that will have no further books forthcoming.  The Mrs Pollifax mysteries, I recently finished the last one,  Mrs Pollifax Unveiled.

Last Edited on: 1/27/09 11:14 PM ET - Total times edited: 3
Date Posted: 1/25/2009 3:27 PM ET

I'm going to use this post to keep my records:

1. Read one mystery/thriller from an author you've never read before.

2. Read one mystery that was written before the year you were born.

3. Read one historical mystery. (Set during or before--shall we say, WW II, just as an arbitrary cutoff.)

3 (a). If you regularly read historical mysteries, read one set in a place or time that you've never read about before.

5. Read one mystery written first in another language and translated to English.

7. Read a new release--something published within the past six months.

8. Everyone deserves a second chance--read a mystery by an author you previously tried reading and didn't care for - Dognapped by Gabriella Herkert.

9. Read a mystery set in an exotic location--that is to say, other than the USA, Canada or UK.

BONUS: Complete a series--read to the end of a 'dead' series, one that will have no further books forthcoming.

Subject: Challenge
Date Posted: 1/30/2009 1:54 AM ET

Wow!  This is so cool.  I want to play.  I'm going to track my progress on this thread but I just saw this challenge today for the first time so I haven't even thought about what to read.  Is it OK if I use other crossed off books from someone elses thread if I have trouble coming up with books?  Thanks, Janette

3. Read one historical mystery. (Set during or before--shall we say, WW II, just as an arbitrary cutoff.)

4. Read a mystery that is at least 400 pages long.  TRIPTYCH - KARIN SLAUGHTER

8. Everyone deserves a second chance--read a mystery by an author you previously tried reading and didn't care for.

BONUS: Complete a series--read to the end of a 'dead' series, one that will have no further books forthcoming.

Date Posted: 1/30/2009 9:24 AM ET

Janette, if you get an idea from someone else's shelf definitely use it!  I've done that

Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 1/30/2009 9:42 AM ET

Janette, I got the idea for a book written in another language from someone else!  Other lists will give you an ideas anyway.

Date Posted: 2/4/2009 11:52 AM ET

Hey, I'm a little late, but I'll try to join in! I've got quite a few on my shelves that will fit the bill!

1. Read one mystery/thriller from an author you've never read before. Eggs in Purgatory by Laura Childs

2. Read one mystery that was written before the year you were born. - Dead Cert by Dick Francis (1962)

3. Read one historical mystery. (Set during or before--shall we say, WW II, just as an arbitrary cutoff.) One Corpse Too Many by Ellis Peters (Brother Cadfael mystery)

4. Read a mystery that is at least 400 pages long. Careless in Red by Elizabeth George (640 pages)

5. Read one mystery written first in another language and translated to English. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larsson

7. Read a new release--something published within the past six months. Even Money by Dick Francis (August, 2009 release)

8. Everyone deserves a second chance--read a mystery by an author you previously tried reading and didn't care for. Passion, Betrayal and Killer Highlights by Kyra Davis

9. Read a mystery set in an exotic location--that is to say, other than the USA, Canada or UK. Flower Net by Lisa See (Beijing)

10. Read a mystery with the word "Blood" or "Bloody" in the title. Blood Sport by Dick Francis

Last Edited on: 11/24/09 10:09 AM ET - Total times edited: 22
Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 2/8/2009 8:35 AM ET

Bump

M.E. (ryenke) -
Date Posted: 2/8/2009 11:12 AM ET

I guess I'm late too, but willing.  Some of these will be very challenging to accomplish. 

1. Read one mystery/thriller from an author you've never read before.  (Artists in Crime - Ngaio Marsh - 1/20/09) (The Mensa Murders by Lee Ralston  - 1/22/2009)

2. Read one mystery that was written before the year you were born.  (The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett - 2/8/2009)

3. Read one historical mystery. (Set during or before--shall we say, WW II, just as an arbitrary cutoff.) (Death at Wentwater Court - by Carola Dunn - 1/27/2009)

5. Read one mystery written first in another language and translated to English. (The Shape of Water by Andrea Camilleri 2/26/09)

8. Everyone deserves a second chance--read a mystery by an author you previously tried reading and didn't care for.

9. Read a mystery set in an exotic location--that is to say, other than the USA, Canada or UK. (Death of an Obnoxious Tourist - Maria Hudgins 3/6/09)

10. Read a mystery with the word "Blood" or "Bloody" in the title. (Good Blood by Arron Elkins 3/29/09)

BONUS: Complete a series--read to the end of a 'dead' series, one that will have no further books forthcoming.  (Jason Lynx series by A.J. Orde 03/06/09)

Last Edited on: 3/29/09 2:16 PM ET - Total times edited: 7
Ivy M. (Luvbug) - ,
Date Posted: 2/13/2009 11:56 AM ET

This is my list as it stands right now...I will fill it in as I find one to fit...I am going to try to stick to the books on my TBR pile but may have to reqest some if I can't find one to fit in along the way...

Blindsighted by Karin Slaughter

Seven Dials by Anne Perry

Angels Fall by Nora Roberts

8. Everyone deserves a second chance--read a mystery by an author you previously tried

reading and didn't care for.

Blood Money by Carlton Smith

Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 2/18/2009 4:16 PM ET

Oh darn, didn't mean to do this!

Date Posted: 2/23/2009 3:08 AM ET

I'd like to try this challenge also.  I'm starting late but I have been doing a lot of reading since January. 

Thanks

Lori

1. Read one mystery/thriller from an author you've never read before.  Dead Angler by Victoria Houston 2/09

3. Read one historical mystery. (Set during or before--shall we say, WW II, just as an arbitrary cutoff.)  To Davey Jones Below by Carola Dunn

4. Read a mystery that is at least 400 pages long.  Exit Wounds by J.A. Jance 1/09

6. Read one mystery where one of the main characters is an animal. Cat in a Diamond Dazzle by Carole Nelson Douglas?

7. Read a new release--something published within the past six months.  Devil May Ride by Wendy Roberts  3/09

8. Everyone deserves a second chance--read a mystery by an author you previously tried reading and didn't care for.  Skinwalkers by Tony Hillerman

9. Read a mystery set in an exotic location--that is to say, other than the USA, Canada or UK.  Alpine For You by Maddy Hunter 3/09

10. Read a mystery with the word "Blood" or "Bloody" in the title.  Blood Dreams by Kay Hooper

BONUS: Complete a series--read to the end of a 'dead' series, one that will have no further books forthcoming.  Eugenia Potter Mysteries by Virginia Rich?  Lily Bard Series by Charlaine Harris 4/09

Last Edited on: 4/30/09 7:34 PM ET - Total times edited: 5
Date Posted: 2/27/2009 4:48 PM ET

bump

Date Posted: 3/7/2009 10:23 PM ET
Bump so it doesn't flip to page two!
Date Posted: 3/11/2009 10:02 AM ET

Im late finding this.....can anyone join in?

if so  ...im in...

6. Read one mystery where one of the main characters is an animal. Nothing to fear  but ferrets-linda o johnston

Amber

Last Edited on: 3/13/09 2:04 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Date Posted: 3/11/2009 10:50 AM ET

of course you can join in Amber!

I need to read some of the books on my challenge list.  I've read a few but need to read more

Kat (polbio) -
Date Posted: 3/21/2009 8:51 AM ET

bump

Date Posted: 3/21/2009 10:00 AM ET

how is everyone doing on the challenge?!  I need to read some more of the books on my list, thank goodness I have all year!  LOL

it seems like I have so many books to read and not enough time

Date Posted: 3/21/2009 10:55 AM ET

I keep forgetting to come back and mark stuff off so I don't have dates on mine! I'm not getting very far very fast. I've been working so much not a lot of reading time right now. I need to get back to it. Good thing it is all year!

Date Posted: 3/25/2009 1:54 PM ET

I have books on my list, but some I just can't get into.  I need to do some editing...

Date Posted: 4/4/2009 8:35 AM ET

Bump so it doesn't get lost!

Date Posted: 4/15/2009 9:33 AM ET

Bump.

Date Posted: 4/30/2009 7:43 PM ET

Too bad edits don't bump this up :-)

Date Posted: 4/30/2009 10:20 PM ET

I hear you Lori because I did an edit and of course it didn't bump it up!

Date Posted: 5/25/2009 6:36 PM ET

bump so it doesn't get lost.  I'm fixin' to update some things soon! :-)

Page: