Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: New badge??

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
IlliniAlum83 avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal
Subject: New badge??
Date Posted: 4/20/2017 7:10 PM ET

I got an email from PBS saying a new badge had been added to my profile because I donated to 'Books for Kids" drive this week.  I don't see anything.......anyone know what 'badge' or icon I'm looking for?

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 4/20/2017 7:30 PM ET

I don't see anything new on your profile and don't know what it'd look like either.  Just guessing,  but have you tried signing out and then signing back in?

rebeccam avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 4/20/2017 8:16 PM ET

They are likely using the apple from Books for Schools for Books for Kids.

RockStarGirl avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 4/20/2017 11:42 PM ET

I think it's the apple.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 4/21/2017 10:50 AM ET

It's the apple.

IlliniAlum83 avatar
Date Posted: 4/21/2017 12:03 PM ET

ok, so it was already there from last books for schools drive then.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 4/21/2017 5:21 PM ET

I think it is removed after a year and as it was more than a year since PBS did a book drive for kids. Think everyone's apple disappeared. The good thing about your post is I now know about the reopening of the school donation program and can contribute. I have periodically check and there was nothing. Now I know there is Thank you. Be great if PBS did email blast letting everyong know!. Be great if they reran soldiers program also!

rebeccam avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 4/21/2017 5:41 PM ET

I did Books for Schools and my apple was removed. They are temporary. I'm not doing Books for Kids as I'd rather give books to local kids right now.

Alameda avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 4/23/2017 6:56 AM ET

This one is Books for Kids (Ithink Summer Camp etc). They have a link on the Home Page that explains it - it's also for 'certified' donation eligible (IRS Tax Write off eligible) schools/programs. You could get a potential $300 tax write-off for donation of 100 credits. Note I said a 'potential tax write off. How it could affect you and your 2107 taxes is between you and your tax-preparertax-agent. If you donate any credits you will get an acknowledgement from PBS via email - just keep a copy of that email - it's basically your proof that you gave to a charitable organization etc. 

I wished PBS had differentiated between the Books for School (red apples) by using a different color for the Books for Kids program (w/green or yellow apples), but I think PBS still has programming issues to resolve and don't need to burden their programmers with additional work...

The apple badge (symbol) you get has a time limit - after a (1-year) time peroid it will disappear (be removed).
From my email from PBS for my donation: 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you for your donation of 5 credits on 4/19/2017 to support BooksforKids! Your generous support goes a long way and makes a real difference.

You have not only donated to a worthy cause, you have also helped others nurture their love of reading!

As a token of our appreciation, we have added a special badge on your profile that lasts for one year. This badge identifies you as a donor to this particular program, and as someone who really cares and promotes reading through giving.

You can follow the progress of the donation program from the Donations page:

http://www.paperbackswap.com/donations/index.php

Again, on behalf of BooksforKids, thank you!
All the best and happy reading,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Every little bit helps - I donated a little bit this month, perhaps a little bit next month. 
How about you? 

Last Edited on: 4/23/17 6:57 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
IlliniAlum83 avatar
Date Posted: 4/23/2017 7:50 PM ET

Mary-- PBS just did a 'Books for Schools' drive in November 2016.  That's why I already had a red apple on my profile and was confused when they told me 'a new badge' had been added after my donation this week to the 'Books for Kids' drive.  You can check your credit registry to see if you gave for that drive that year.

melange avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 4/27/2017 2:57 PM ET

I wondered about that too because I didn't see anything new. It would have been cool if they'd given us a new type of badge, but no big deal.

Alameda avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 4/28/2017 9:38 PM ET

Not a New Badge - same 'ol Old Badge but a new Donation Program (Kids vice School) -