Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: *new question* Should I go ahead and mail it or wait?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Subject: *new question* Should I go ahead and mail it or wait?
Date Posted: 4/16/2010 10:34 AM ET
Member Since: 3/27/2010
Posts: 2,138
Back To Top

*new question - after looking through it very carefully again for penciling (there was no more), I noticed that there are some stains to the cover (liquid maybe?) and a small part of the cover is coming apart from the spine on the bottom (top layer is peeling). The pages are still there and attached, as is the cover...but if you open the front cover and then pull the bottom a little, you can see it's starting to peel away from the spine. Hard to describe and not noticeable unless you're really inspecting it (as I just did). But to me, this should be marked as an unpostable, just in case. Now that she's requested it from my bookshelf though, how do we proceed if she still wants it? Just as we are? I PM'd her to let her know I just noticed the issues with the cover to see if she was still interested. I feel bad because it's not in terrible shape at all and everything described wasn't even noticed when I first posted it.

 

A couple of days ago, someone requested a book from me. I PM'd the person and let her know that although there's no writing in the book NOW, a previous owner had written notes in it and underlined various sentences/paragraphs in light pencil but it had been erased. I explained that some of the sentences might be a little lighter because of the erasing and there might be faint traces of the pencil.

She hasn't responded, and I marked "Can mail in 2 days" so I'm not sure what to do. I told her in the PM that I was going to mail it that same day if I heard back from her, otherwise it'd go out in today's mail. But I was assuming I'd hear right back from her and now I'm not sure if I should mail it or not.

Would she be able to RWAP it for this reason? There's no writing in it, but there used to be and it was erased.

Should I go ahead and mail it or wait for a response? What if I never get a response? Thanks so much for any input/advice on this!



Last Edited on: 4/16/10 11:53 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
Date Posted: 4/16/2010 10:46 AM ET
Member Since: 8/15/2007
Posts: 3,044
Back To Top

I'm not sure if she could mark it RWAP or not since you attempted to get permission. I personally would assume so just to be on the safe side.

I would PM her back and say that you'll take her no response to mean she doesn't want it anymore and will cancel the order by XX date if she doesn't respond. This is what I did when I discovered a stain in a book I was about to send out. I figured I'd give them the chance to still get the book, gave them a deadline in the PM, and they responded back by the next day that they still wanted it.

I hope she responds soon!

Date Posted: 4/16/2010 10:57 AM ET
Member Since: 3/27/2010
Posts: 2,138
Back To Top

Fabulous idea, Amee! I did just that - thank you! I hope she responds soon, too! I'd love to print the wrapper and get it sent on. 

Date Posted: 4/16/2010 12:57 PM ET
Member Since: 1/20/2009
Posts: 2,680
Back To Top

Actually, yes, she could mark it RWAP. Especially with the new problems you found. Attempting to get permission isn't enough. If the condition of the book isn't agreed to in these situations, she'd be fully within her rights to mark it RWAP since the book isn't in a condition where it's postable without requiring permission from the receiver. The new issues you discovered actually make it unpostable altogether, so if she doesn't reply you'd need to cancel the transaction and not repost the book. Then, if it's wish listed you could try offering it for a credit in the Book Bazaar or genre forums. If it's not, you'd most likely need to offer it either as a freebie or as part of a lot of multiple unpostables for a given number of credits. People typically aren't willing to pay a credit for a readily available unpostable book when the same credit could get them a postable copy that they can get a credit for when finished.

Date Posted: 4/16/2010 1:02 PM ET
Member Since: 3/27/2010
Posts: 2,138
Back To Top

Ok, thank you. That makes sense!

If she does still want it though and doesn't care about any of the issues, do we proceed as if there are no issues? Print the wrapper and mail it to her??

Date Posted: 4/16/2010 2:57 PM ET
Member Since: 4/7/2008
Posts: 15,690
Back To Top

Kelly - If the book is unpostable and there are other copies available in the system, most likely the person will not want it because she can get a postable copy from somebody else. If it were me, I would expect the sender to cancel the request as soon as they found out the book was unpostable so my request could move to the next person.

If the book is WL, then you should probably wait until you hear from the requestor. If you don't, you must cancel.

Date Posted: 4/16/2010 4:37 PM ET
Member Since: 3/27/2010
Posts: 2,138
Back To Top

Ok, thank you D.G.! I was wanting to cancel it out, but didn't want to make the requestor mad. I see though that her request will automatically go to the next copy of the book, so I'm sure she'll understand.