Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Paranormal

Topic: New Stand Alone UF/Paranrmal Book Suggestions

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Triple Diamond medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Subject: New Stand Alone UF/Paranrmal Book Suggestions
Date Posted: 7/2/2014 2:43 PM ET

I strongly recommended The Rook by Daniel O'Malley to a friend of mine.  She loved it and would like to read more like it that are NOT series books.  She also loves Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden, and Patrick Ruthfuss' King Killer series, but having been thru the waiting with Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time books, is not more interested in series so much as books written as stand alones, even is it does turn into a series. (The Rook was written as a kind of stand alone, but like a mystery can have additional books with the same characters, just not an ongoing story arc.)

So I have Gentleman Bastards by Scott Lynch, the Kin series by David Hulick, Alex Verus by Benedict Jacka, Charley Davidson by Darynda Jones, and a few others, but since several are 'in progress' she refuses to start and wants stand alones.

Man, could I use some suggestions here.

gremlin avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 7/2/2014 9:33 PM ET

The Silvered by Tanya Huff seems to be a standalone.  it did leave a little room at the end for more to maybe come in the future, but nothing i could find indicates there's another book planned.  ok, did a little more poking since she doesn't have a website and found her infrequently posted-to Livejournal, and when it was released she said "The Silvered drops today.  New standalone book, created world fantasy, with werewolves as the good guys, Naploeonic tech level"

Generic Profile avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Triple Diamond medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 7/3/2014 5:05 PM ET

Thanks Ellen

EmilyKat avatar
Limited Member medalTour Guide medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 7/3/2014 5:27 PM ET

Gail Carringer's Soulless series is finished.  She is now working on the YA connected series.

miz-firefly avatar
Date Posted: 7/3/2014 11:36 PM ET

Precinct 13 by Tate Hallway was probably intended to be a series, but I understand it isn't going to be continuing. It ended conclusively enough to be a stand alone.

But there are hardly any stand alones these days. It would be a lot easier to read completed series

Jeaniene Frost just wrapper her Night Huntress series

Jocelyn Drake's Daywalker Series is finished

Rachel Caine's Weather Warden's is finished

of Course Charlaine Harris's Sookie Stackhouse is done

Carringer's Parasol Protective is a must read for anyone who enjoys fast paced snarky paranornal

Last Edited on: 7/3/14 11:37 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
sarap avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 7/6/2014 2:30 AM ET

Well, you can have the best vampire paranormal book every written:

Sunshine by Robin McKinley. Although I don't know anyone who has read it that didn't super want it to be a series.

I really like Trudi Canavan's The Black Magician trilogy (finished), but it's fantasy, not really UF or paranormal.

Also, maybe she would like Joe Abercrombie, based on some of the other titles you have there? He has a series "The First Law" (finished) and there are 3 more stand alone novels that are set in the world, but are not part of the series.

miz-firefly avatar
Date Posted: 7/6/2014 12:14 PM ET

I haven't read him yet but it looks like Neil Gaiman does a lot of stand alones

Sara I could not finish Sunshine. I really liked the authors voice (serious writing skills) but hated the main character

EmilyKat avatar
Limited Member medalTour Guide medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 7/6/2014 5:19 PM ET

Oh my.  I loved Sunshine. 

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 7/8/2014 4:47 PM ET

Thanks everyone.  I passed many along.  Some I had already recommended.

vampsteph avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 7/16/2014 7:06 AM ET

Ordered Sunshine!

Bizzy1 avatar
Date Posted: 9/15/2014 9:07 PM ET

I too would love some more stand alone's to be written.  I've had a clump of series that I started reading that got cancelled and now I'll never have the ending *sigh*  I don't blame her for not wanting to start an ongoing series.

Did you recommend Kim Harrison's hollows series as it now finished?

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 9/16/2014 1:35 PM ET

I just finished reading Son of War, Daughter of Chaos by Janette Rallison. It is a stand alone, but she hasn't written off doing a sequel yet. Its a bit of a departure from her other books which are more romantic comedy, but it was very well written. It may be more YA than you're looking for, but I figured I would suggest it. Egyptian mythology along with some genetic experimentation... yes please :)

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 1/30/2015 3:35 PM ET

OMG I loved "The Rook," by O'Malley, and now I see the sequel is FINALLY almost out. Pub date for July 2015. That's been a loooonnggg time in the works. I'm so glad it was mentioned, it reminded me to check for the sequel.