Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Classic Literature

Topic: Got Noir on my mind

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Subject: Got Noir on my mind
Date Posted: 7/24/2012 5:10 PM ET

Has anyone read their noir selection yet? How did you like it? I have "The Postman Always Rings Twice" and other classics on order. 

I sort of cheated and watched "Double Indemnity" (free on youtube.com) with Fred MacMurray and Barbara Stanwyck last week and discovered that I do indeed like this genre even though every noir spoof I've ever seen has nailed it.

"I am crazy about ya, baby."  "Say yer prayers, ya double crossin' dirty rat." 

Though I have to admit, goofy Fred MacMurray playing a cold bad ass was hard to believe. He's just not the type since I only really know him as Steve Douglas, the father in the t.v. show My Three Sons. 

Last Edited on: 7/24/12 5:11 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
sevenspiders avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 7/24/2012 8:18 PM ET

Raymond Chandler is one of only two authors I've ever read whose prose has literally made my jaw drop with its brilliance.  The plots are a little knotty, but they're worth it.  I'd start with The Long Goodbye.

22chickens avatar
Date Posted: 8/23/2012 3:27 PM ET

I LOVE Raymond Chandler.   My other personal favorite is Erle Stanley Gardiner.  Perry Mason is a pretty great character.

Generic Profile avatar
Member of the Month medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 10/10/2012 3:53 PM ET

Really hard core noir can be found by running a search "Hard Case Crime" - it is a publisher of fifties and sixties noir. Lots of action, with knuckle-headed characters doing things totally against their own interest, usually under the influence of demon alcohol.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 5/26/2013 6:08 PM ET

The Library of America publishes a couple of very good collections of noir novels.

Generic Profile avatar
Member of the Month medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 5/31/2013 2:42 PM ET

I've been reading noir lately. Cornell Woolrich's The Bride Wore Black really rocked.

Bury Me Deep by  Harold Q. Masur was good, if a little lighter.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 3/24/2014 11:23 AM ET

I just got a nice copy of I Married a Dead Man by Cornell Woolrich. Haven't started yet.

Generic Profile avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 3/25/2014 8:02 AM ET

How about some true-life noir?  Try James Ellroy's My Dark Places--his account of trying to solve, as an adult, his own mother's murder, which happened when he was ten.  It's a very dark read, chronicalling as well his descent into drugs and crime as a troubled youth.