Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Non-smoking/Scent-free Demands

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Limited Member medal
Subject: Non-smoking/Scent-free Demands
Date Posted: 10/14/2016 10:59 AM ET

It seems that lately I am getting an inordinate amount of demands for non-smoking or scent-free books.  I certainly sympathize with people with allergies, but I am not sure how to respond to these requests.  Most of the books I trade came from PBS or thrift shops or are otherwise used books.  While no one in my home smokes, I don't know the provenance of most of my books.  I do not have a great sense of smell, so am hesitant to use the "sniff test".  I tend to err on the side of caution, and turn down most of these requests, but the whole process is quite frustrating.  What do others do?

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 10/14/2016 11:06 AM ET

I reject all smell requests. It does seem that I don't get any and then I'll get several in a row.

Last Edited on: 10/14/16 6:17 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
lovejaneeyre avatar
Date Posted: 10/14/2016 11:23 AM ET

I have been lucky to have members who were willing give the book the sniff test for me.  I just do not enjoy reading a book that smells like  cigarette smoke with every page turn.  

I buy my books used from thriftshops so I don't know the history of the books I buy.  I open the book and smell the paper.  If the book does not smell like smoke it's fine.  I think as long as you have a sense of smell it should be possible to detect certain strong smells.  

I have not bought a new book in years.  The only new books I bought were for my daughter in high school.  

Last Edited on: 10/14/16 11:26 AM ET - Total times edited: 3
rutabaker avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 10/14/2016 12:16 PM ET

My RC is as follows:

Please, no books from homes with a smoker currently in residence. I realize the books are used, I don't expect you to know where they've been or who's read them before they came to your smoke-free home.Thank you.

It seems clear to to me that I don't expect anyone to know a books provinence but still some reject the RC for that very reason and the one stated in the OP---because they can't guess where the book has been.  I have no qualms about accepting former library books, have no RC against them, and as library books they could have been read or handled by anyone.

Last Edited on: 10/15/16 8:39 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
sarap avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 10/14/2016 12:21 PM ET

Nobody smokes in my house, but I do get tons of used books, in the mail and at the store. I sniff the book and if it smells fine, I mail it. Never had a single issue doing this.

If for some reason, I did have a problem, I would just politely decline to refund the credit.

The sender always controls every transaction.

Last Edited on: 10/14/16 12:23 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
LarkspurJane avatar
Date Posted: 10/14/2016 1:11 PM ET

Last Edited on: 3/18/17 11:16 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
lovejaneeyre avatar
Date Posted: 10/14/2016 1:22 PM ET

Larkspur Jane,  I'm sorry to hear of your sinus troubles.  Are you able to smell if something is burning?  The other day I was in another part of house and I could smell something burning in the oven.  I quickly dashed to the kitchen and turned off the oven.  It still had 10 more minutes to bake so that cook time was just wrong.  I cannot imagine how bad it would have been if it went a for another 10 minutes.  

Last Edited on: 10/14/16 1:22 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
thameslink avatar
Friend of PBS-Double Diamond medal
Date Posted: 10/14/2016 2:13 PM ET

Like Jane, I do not have a very keen sense of smell for the same reason -- chronic sinus issues...so I am one of those people who turn down all requests asking me to sniff the book. It is not worth the hassle of a RWAP in case they can smell something I can't. Now, when people ask for a book currently in a non-smoking home, I will send it without hesitation.

My response to smell RCs is Due to the fact that I don't have a very keen sense of smell, I regretfully decline your RC...I do not want to take the chance that you might be able to smell something that I can't, and risk the loss of a credit.

Generic Profile avatar
Pat O. (PatinCO) - ,
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Diamond medal
Date Posted: 10/14/2016 3:26 PM ET

For me, it depends on how the RC is worded. If it is as Marya stated above, I will send the book, as we don't smoke, but some RCs on smell are so vague that I decline. Pat

VolunteerVal avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Triple Diamond medal
Date Posted: 10/14/2016 5:05 PM ET

Usually these kinds of conversations drift away from cigarette / cigar / pipe smoke smells and into fireplace / woodburning stove smells.

gingerkitty avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 10/14/2016 7:49 PM ET

I would accept an RC like Marya's since no one in my house smokes. 

I'd reject anything about sniffing books or anything vague about smell since I don't think I have an overly keen sense of smell.

frogslady avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 10/14/2016 8:02 PM ET

I don't like a strong smoky smell, but I was afraid someone would not send me a book I wanted if I put that on an RC, so I am instead sitting with some books that absolutely reek. I really want to read them but I can't because of the foulness. I just put them right back in the box they came in and added a box of baking soda and put the box away for a month. They were much better, and two of them I could read. I put the others back in the box with a fresh box of baking soda (the other box now stunk.) Eventually I will get to read the books!

LarkspurJane avatar
Date Posted: 10/14/2016 9:24 PM ET

Last Edited on: 3/18/17 11:16 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 10/14/2016 9:41 PM ET

I don't send to scent RCs since I was burned on one.  A woman told me the book I seent REEKED of smoke (it didn't come from a smoking environment).  Since then I decided life's too short to get my knickers in a twist over an unjust RWAP, so I reject the all.

I think you may be getting an inordinate number of RCs like that because they tend to stack up at the top of the queue if people reject them. 

IlliniAlum83 avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal
Date Posted: 10/16/2016 12:06 PM ET

I  received several books in a 6 month period that reeked of smoke--could even smell it while still in wrapping.  I complained since I do have a 'no smoky smell' RC due to allergies.......they all claimed to not be a smoking family.  I investigated and discovered that the packages at our PO sat in rolling bin in open doorway where the PO workers took their smoking breaks----so pretty sure the PO smokers caused the packages to smell. I guess the brown paper and manilla envelopes are made of fibers that easily absorb the smoke smell.  I aired out the books using several of the suggested fixes from PBS members and all but one got cleared of the smoky smell.

starvinArtist avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 10/23/2016 1:44 PM ET

I reject all rc's having to do with odor because I have a terrible sense of smell and many of my books come from the fol.  (and that's what I say on the form,   I have a lousy sense of smell)

EmilyKat avatar
Limited Member medalTour Guide medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 10/24/2016 9:53 AM ET

I know smell RCs are hard. That said, I give credits for the smoke smelling books. I might label them as problems, but always give a credit.

You can get glasses to help with your eyesight. Nothing will help with a lost sense of smell.

And yes, one of my postal workers takes smoking breaks in the truck. Right in front of my house. Yuck.

rxrcds avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 10/24/2016 10:11 AM ET

I always simply decline with an "I'm sorry, I have a poor sense of smell so can not accept scent related RCs". I tend to put that when I offer WL multiples also so people turn off their RC if it involves scent. I know it's frustrating, so hopefully your next few requests are ones that can be completed successfully.

Generic Profile avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 10/26/2016 9:03 PM ET

I don't smoke but I reject all smell requests.  My sense of smell is not good.