Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Notice Left?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Subject: Notice Left?
Date Posted: 10/4/2017 5:42 PM ET

I mailed a book on 9/15.  According to USPS, it arrived to the destination city on 9/25.  The next entry in the tracking, from the same date, says "Notice Left." That's the last entry there is.  The address I mailed to wasn't a P.O. Box.  Soooo.....

1.  What would generate that kind of message? 

2.  The book has been sitting at that post office for 9 days, apparently.  What will happen is the recipient doesn't do anything?

3.  If the recipient doesn't get the book and it's not returned to me, will PBS step in? 

I know that nothing can happen until the book goes lost, but inquiring minds are curious.  I've never encountered a situation like this. 

riksny avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 10/4/2017 6:38 PM ET
If the person was not home and there wasn't a secure place to leave the parcel, the carrier would write out a paper notice and put it in the customer's mailbox. Then take your book back to the Po. If the customer didn't pick it up, there is supposed to be a second notice delivered after (I forget how long) 5 days maybe? And then returned to sender, unclaimed, after some other number (at days?) of days. Sorry I can't be more specific. If I were you, I would send a PM to the recipient and let them know the PO claims to have left them a notice and they might want to check with their PO.
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 10/4/2017 7:47 PM ET

That's a good idea, Diane.  Thank you. 

sarap avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 10/5/2017 1:35 AM ET

When I go on vacation and the post office holds my mail, the books are scanned that way. Because thats the option that indicates that the post office is holding it. They do not scan it as delivered until the person comes to pick up their mail.

I doubt there is anything to worry about, you can PM if you are worried about it but I would just assume that they are on vcacation and will handle their mail when they return.

PBS does not do anything with transactions automatically beyond what the software does. So, nobody will look at your transaction unless you call their attention to it by contacting them. After (if) the book goes lost. Because they won't do anything before that either.

Last Edited on: 10/5/17 1:36 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 10/5/2017 10:09 AM ET

That's also a possibility that I hadn't known to consider, Sara.  Thank you.  Yes, I know PBS won't step in unless I contact them, and not until the book goes, lost.  I was just curious.  I did contact the requestor last night and have not heard back (though it hasn't been long), so vacation is a definite possibility. 

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 10/5/2017 3:15 PM ET

seems odd to me that somebody would request a book and then leave home. It has happened to me though.

bookbuggg avatar
Standard Member medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medal
Date Posted: 10/5/2017 3:47 PM ET

"seems odd to me that somebody would request a book and then leave home. It has happened to me though."

Why? Things happen in life far more important than saying, "I requested a book so I need to stay home until it arrives." 

If the post office didnt make a mistake.. I can say I  have left home suddenly due to:

My grandmother's death (in another state)

My son's hospitalization (and I stayed with him)

My favorite cousin giving birth 16 weeks early (in another state)

Last minute work replacement for a conference (2x)

Ice storm that knocked power out for almost 7 days (we went to family a couple of hours away who had power..and no we didnt know it would knock power out for 7 days. I never expected transformers to be popping all over town)

Things happen beyond our control..

thameslink avatar
Friend of PBS-Double Diamond medal
Date Posted: 10/5/2017 4:30 PM ET

seems odd to me that someone would request a book and then leave home

I keep my WL on automatic request so that I never miss a WL offering so that could be an explanation...or even if I am home but about to leave, and there is a book I want, I’ll request it...there’s no way of knowing whether the member will mail immediately or wait the maximum number of days before mailing, I might be out of town when the book arrives or I might have arrived home before the book. Whenever a book arrives in my absence, I always mark it received the second I return and usually include an apology if there has been a delay in marking it received because I was not home to do so when it arrived.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 10/5/2017 5:32 PM ET

Well, I still don't know what happened, but I PM'd the requestor last night (thanks again, Diane).  She replied this morning, said she had called the post office and they were delivering it today.  It was marked received this afternoon. 

bookbuggg avatar
Standard Member medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medal
Date Posted: 10/5/2017 5:34 PM ET

Yay!!!