Discussion Forums - Historical Fiction

Topic: OCTOBER Historical Fiction we are reading

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Date Posted: 10/29/2016 9:24 AM ET

Cheryl - I'm a huge Flavia fan!

Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 10/30/2016 7:34 AM ET

I am reading Murder at Marble House (Gilded Newport, Bk 2) :: Alyssa Maxwell

It is one of books that is on the borderline of historical cozy and straight up historical mystery. (I think of historical mystery more serious book). Anyways, I enjoy this series. This one focus's on Consuelo Vanderbilt. PBS had a documentary on American Heiresses that were sold off to British rolayaty. They did a section on Consuelo. Very interesting bit of history. Last year I went to Newport and toured the Marble House. It is opulent. Many of the mansions of that era were torn down. No one wanted to maintain them that lifestyle was gone. The Newport Historical society bought up some and those are the one you can tour today. Makes a great vacation.

Date Posted: 10/31/2016 10:02 AM ET

Alice, what did you think of Ship of Brides? I was vaguely disappointed; probably because it seemed so promising and (IMO) should have been so much better than it was.

I raced through Out of the Easy by Ruth Sepetys, finishing it this morning about 5:30 am! An interesting 1950's historical mystery set in New Orleans. As with her more serious war-time books, Sepetys does an excellent job of establishing her setting and dropping the reader right in the middle of the action. 

Next up for me, I think, is The Bookman's Tale(Trying to focus on the TBR list we put together for Nicole's November HF TBR game!)

Kelly

Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 11/1/2016 7:44 AM ET

Kelly I thought it was just okay.  I would have liked more historical background. Although I did not know anything about War brides that was interesting.

Alice

Page: