Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: PM form does not show the other member ID as a clickable link

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
y2pk avatar
Subject: PM form does not show the other member ID as a clickable link
Date Posted: 8/15/2009 11:16 AM ET

I placed a book order last night, and then decided to take another look at the member's shelf to see if she had any other books I wanted. I should have clicked 'order more,' but instead clicked the PM button. Not a problem, I thought. I'll just click on her member ID (she didn't have a nickname) and go to the bookshelf that way. But her ID (in the address portion of the PM form) wasn't clickable.

I've gotten used to using the PM button as a way of going to the other member's profile, or if they don't have a profile, directly to the bookshelf. I couldn't do that with this member. I could get to her shelf by going back to my account page and clicking on 'order more,' but after she had accepted the order, there would have been no way of getting to her profile/bookshelf. In over two years here, I've never run across that situation. I know some members have privacy issues, but this seemed too private to me, and I cancelled the order. Call me paranoid. ;-)

Anyway, now I'm curious: How common is it to not be able to click a member's ID (and/or nickname) to get more information?

Pam

Generic Profile avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 8/15/2009 11:32 AM ET

This means they haven't set up a profile at all.  You would not be able to find them in the member directory.  There are a lot of members who never take the time to set up a nickname and profile. 

You should still have the Order More From Member button on the Book I Have Requested tab. 

Generic Profile avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 8/15/2009 11:54 AM ET

Hmm. I could have sworn the Order More From Member button stayed there after it was accepted. But I guess it doesn't.  I just looked to see if a WL book I had requested was finally accepted. It was and there's no longer and Order More From Member button.  I thought they stayed there until it was printed. 

Well it's the sender that will lose out.  By not taking 2 mintues to set up a nickame they lose out on possibly getting more orders. 

melanied avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medalTour Guide Leader medalBook Bazaar Coordinator medal
Date Posted: 8/15/2009 11:59 AM ET

Also, some people set their profiles to completely private (no link will appear) after a couple of security scares where someone used PBS information to find members in real life, and some did it when the forums became public (don't need to sign up to read some of the forums).  Most are doing it to, in their minds, protect themselves not to hide.

willaful avatar
Date Posted: 8/15/2009 12:48 PM ET

I found out from another member recently that I had accidentally set my name not to be clickable. I had to go into the privacy control and click for my account and name to be linked. It was not deliberate on my part.