Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Peeling glossy paperback cover art

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
TwoBooklovers avatar
Subject: Peeling glossy paperback cover art
Date Posted: 6/7/2018 8:54 AM ET

I received two wishlisted paperbacks lately which had the glossy cover art that seems to be glued on rather than printed.  My problem is that the cover art started peeling at the edge. It looks sort of raggedy and kept getting worse so I put a piece if clear tape over it to keep it from fraying even more. Other than that the books are in great condition and have many wishers.

I consider them postable according to the guidelines, but want to get your input.

I would post them and then tell the requestor the problem with the cover, giving him the option to decline.

Your thoughts?

hardtack avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 6/7/2018 12:58 PM ET

They sound okay to me. I have fixed slightly torn covers with book tape, posted them and sent them out. I've never had a complaint.

IlliniAlum83 avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal
Date Posted: 6/7/2018 5:31 PM ET

I see a lot of corners turned up like that at the FOL used bookstore where I volunteer......we are not allowed to repair books at all so it's a judgment call as to whether we shelve them or pass them on.

sarap avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 6/8/2018 12:25 PM ET

Tape is fine on books as long as it is not repairing a rip that is longer than 1.5 inches.

I think your book sounds fine, I often carefully tape small rips or cover peels like you describe.

BlackPanther avatar
Standard Member medalTour Guide medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 6/8/2018 12:49 PM ET

Tape drives me crazy on books. I have to take it off. It's a personal pet peeve. 

However, I do find a small, tiny speck of glue carefully put in a hidden spot, such as the spine or peeling corners can improve a books longevity and looks. I also like to sand down the fingerprints, dirt, ink stamps, and tanning on the book edges.

TwoBooklovers avatar
Date Posted: 6/8/2018 3:06 PM ET

Thanks guys for your advice.  I should be okay posting them with a note to the requestor.  But I wish they would not use that type of cover art, it really frayes very easily.