|Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.|
Around Christmas I was in BN and glanced at the back of a book...The story was about a model that falls off the runway...breaks a leg or something and has to spend the holiday back home in a small town....meets old bf or something
Does this sound familiar ?? If so what is the tiitle please????
And thanks ahead :-)
Thanks allI...I hope someone knows this too..like an idiot I didn't buy it and then forgot the title....it has haunted me for MONTHS now..I want this book but can't find it without a title or author lol duh me
Last Edited on: 6/4/09 11:19 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Hmmmm, for some reason I'm thinking of this book. I know I'm totally off, but here's a shot in the dark:
Look at Me BY Jennifer Egan
(Courtesy of Barnes and Noble.com)
At the start of this edgy and ambitiously multilayered novel, a fashion model named Charlotte Swenson emerges from a car accident in her Illinois hometown with her face so badly shattered that it takes eighty titanium screws to reassemble it. She returns to New York still beautiful but oddly unrecognizable, a virtual stranger in the world she once effortlessly occupied.
With the surreal authority of a David Lynch, Jennifer Egan threads Charlotte’s narrative with those of other casualties of our infatuation with the image. There’s a deceptively plain teenaged girl embarking on a dangerous secret life, an alcoholic private eye, and an enigmatic stranger who changes names and accents as he prepares an apocalyptic blow against American society. As these narratives inexorably converge, Look at Me becomes a coolly mesmerizing intellectual thriller of identity and imposture.
OK, OK...I remember seeing this one on the shelves too....perhaps this is it----->
The Home for Wayward Supermodels
by Pamela Satran
From the Publisher
The Reasons Amanda's Graduation Trip to New York City is About to Change Her Life Forever:
1. Back home in Eagle River, Wisconsin, you don't see many Hideously Ugly Hooker Shoes.
2. Here in Manhattan, you might just be walking down the street and get offered a top modeling contract — on your very first day!
3. Her girlfriend Desi knows all the hippest vintage clothing stores — and where to buy a Marc Jacobs knock-off bag for $20.
4. Cannoli, cappuccino, tapas, knishes, gnocchi, chimichangas, samosas, and several hundred other unpronounceable but thoroughly delicious foods you can only eat when you're six feet tall.
5. Her sweetheart of a boyfriend, Tom, secretly promises they'll get married as soon as she comes home — but she's suddenly not sure when that will be.
6. She discovers that her mom (who owns Patty's House O' Pies in Eagle River) knows how to speak French — and isn't saying where she learned how.
7. She finds out that the man she thought was her dad isn't her dad....
With the skewering eye and sharp humor of The Devil Wears Prada, Pamela Satran's wonderful Midwest-girl-in-the-Big-City novel is a delightful fairy-tale tour of Manhattan's modeling world — and a poignant adventure of self-discovery.
Awww SomerG you are super sweet for looking this up..I don't know how you do that ...thank you but no its not either...it was a book based on Christmas and the model falls off the runway and has to go back home for the holidays..(small hick town)...I am pretty sure she broke her leg...How do you look these up? You are close and I appreciate the help
I went to Barnes and Noble's website and you can do an advanced search. It will bring up all the books with the keywords that you can remember the story being about. =) Good Luck!