Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: posting a book before you are done reading it?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Date Posted: 3/2/2011 11:21 AM ET

I never do that.  Until I read that last word, the book is mine and I'm not giving it up until I'm done with it.  Actually, in the past I would wait until I accumulated a bunch to be posted and post them all at once, because I felt I had to have at least three books to send out at a time to justify going to the post office.  But then I started using printable postage here at BS so it was just as easy to send them out one at a time, so I post as soon as I finish the book.

Date Posted: 3/2/2011 1:32 PM ET

I have done so before, and used to post heavily posted books weeks in advance of reading them, but a couple of times had the book requested with 'order more from member' not long after I listed it so I went ahead and sent it out and then when I was ready to read it a few weeks later, I had to order another copy. 

More recently, I'd post a book when I was about halfway through with it. I read pretty fast and wouldn't have a problem finishing up before the sending deadline. I mostly don't do this anymore though, because one time I had just a couple of chapters left and like an idiot I set the book down in a coffee spill I didn't realize was there--it was stained and had liquid damage so I ended up having to cancel the order after I'd posted it and accepted the request. Another time with an older book which was fine when I got it and when I started it, the front cover started working loose from the binding and a couple of pages were halfway detached by the time I got done--same thing, I'd posted it already so it was another cancellation on my end.

I've found it's just less hassle to finish it, then post it, but I think as long as you're willing to send the book within the mailing time frame when it is ordered, you can do whatever you like!

Cheryl

Date Posted: 3/2/2011 10:32 PM ET

I would never post a book before finishing it.  After I finish, I frequently do a review and may want to refer back to a quote in the book or something. Plus, til I'm finished I don't know if it will become a "keeper" or if I will decide I have to let my mom or sisters or one of my 3 daughters read it!

Page: