Prem Shankar Jha
born 22 December 1938 is the Managing Editor of Financial World, the soon to be launched business daily from Tehelka. He is also a columnist with Tehelka magazine. Jha was educated at The Doon School and received a Masters of Arts Degree from University of Oxford in philosophy, politics and economics at Nuffield College, Oxford .
In 1961, he joined the United Nations where he spent five years in the United Nations Development Programme UNDP. He spent two years in New York as a special assistant to the managing director of the Special Fund Mr. Paul G. Hoffman who was the first administrator of the UNDP. The remaining three were spent in Damascus, Syria.
In 1966 Jha joined the Hindustan Times as an assistant editor, in 1969 he moved to the Times of India, where he was the deputy editor of The Economic Times. He then joined the Financial Express as its editor before moving back to the Times of India in 1981 as its economic editor. In 1986 he re-joined the Hindustan Times as its editor.
The World Bank appointed him as a consultant in 1978 to prepare a report on the public sector in India . In 1977 the Asia and Pacific Development Administration Centre of the UN in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia gave him the project of preparing a manual for use by public sector managers for operation and evaluation of projects .
Jha was a member of the Indian National Commission for UNESCO in 1975-1977 and in 1976 he was a delegate to the 63rd Session of the Indian Science Congress Association, Waltaire . In 1990 he has served as the information advisor to the Prime Minister of India .
He was a columnist for The Hindu , The Hindustan Times , the Business Standard and Tehelka magazine .
He is an author of the following books .
- India : A Political Economy of Stagnation (1980).
- Management of Public Enterprises in Developing Asian Countries: The UN Asian and Pacific Development Administration Centre. (1980).
- In the Eye of the Cyclone: The crisis in Indian Democracy. (1993).
- Kashmir 1947: Rival versions of History (1996).
- A Jobless Future: Political causes of Economic crisis (in India) (2002).
- The Perilous Road to the Market: The Political economy of reform in Russia, China and India. (2002).
- Kashmir 1947: the Origins of a dispute (2003).
- The End of Saddam Hussein's Iraq - History through the Eyes of the Victim (2003).
- Crouching Dragon, Hidden Tiger: Can China and India Dominate the West? (2009).