Friend's Email: Subject:I have found a book that I think you would enjoy
Present in the Past: Source Problems in American History
Present in the Past Source Problems in American History Author:Armin Rappaport, Richard Traina This collection of primary source materials and essays by twenty authorities on different periods in American history is designed for use in the udnergraduate American history survey course. The book provides a treatment in depth of specific problems in the development of American civilization from the colonial period to the immediate past. Some... more » of its numerous advantages over other readings books for this course are described below.
1. The contributors are experts both on the historical problems they discuss and on presenting history in a manner that is challenging and relevant to the undergraduate.
2. The individual chapters deal with specific events, crises, or conflicts ("illustrative microcosms") that epitomize the character of the age, rather than with generalizations about trends and causes.
3. The topics treated reflect enduring and recurring issues in American history and are analagous to contemporary problems and controversies with which the student is familiar. The past is allowed to speak in its own voice and in its own terms, yet the problems selected are almost uncomfortably germane to current American predicaments.
4. Each brief section (approximately 10,000 words each) joins an original essay with a collection of primary source materials. The essays provide the background needed for informed discussion of the source materials.
5. The book is unique in the variety and unconventionality of perspectives and events which it presents.« less