Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Hidden Gems Hidden Gems

Topic: Prince of Frogtown: Rick Bragg

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Subject: Prince of Frogtown: Rick Bragg
Date Posted: 7/18/2008 10:18 AM ET

I posted thisd on another thread, but it is somewhat off-topic there, so I thought I'd see if any others have read this book...

I really love Rick Bragg's writing, and his books. "Prince of Frogtown," is great writing, but  it is not pretty.

It is about a part of the Deep South that most people never see; most books focus on the romance of the coast and the moss-draped oaks, and beach etc etc etc. "Frogtown" is about life in a mill village in mid-and late century., which was usually pretty grim and rough. The towns my husband and I grew up in SC had mill villages, but it was like another world we didn't visit.

DH could not finish the book, he said it was too true, and he did not want to be reminded of it. (and he's the one who reads for good writing, while I am more -plot-driven).

From the reviews I'd though Frogtown was more about Bragg taking on the role of father to his new wife's son. That did not much interest me, so I did not read it for a while. But while it does involve that, it's more about life in these mill villages, where most of Bragg's family grew up.

It should be required reading for anyone interested in the south.

Generic Profile avatar
Subject: Rick Bragg
Date Posted: 7/18/2008 1:08 PM ET

Have you read his other two book's? All Over But the Shoutin' and Ava's Man. Both excellent!

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 7/18/2008 1:14 PM ET

Betty,

I thought this book was different from All Over but the Shoutin' and Ava's Man.  This one was a different kind of gritty than the other two.  My heart actually broke for his father in this one.  I had always felt sorry for his father but I had never had much compassion for him. 

I think Bragg included the stories about his stepson to show what a different life he had compared to the life Bragg had as a young boy. They really grew up in different worlds. 

I know there are people out there that don't believe some of the more horrible things in these memoirs.  I can understand because they do seem unbelieveable unless you've actually witnessed or lived something very similar.  I grew up in the Appalachian Mountains and I've see some pretty horrible things.  Life isn't always pretty.

Bragg is one of my favorite writers.  :)

Connie

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 7/20/2008 12:04 PM ET

Yes. I've read all his books.  And Connie is right; while they are all similar, this one is different. I don't mean to say  I didn't like it; it's just tough to read---but I thought it was very realistic and honest, and it's always amazing to me when someone can write so beautifullyl about something that's not so pleasant.

This book got a big write-up in the NYT Book Review today, btw.....

Last Edited on: 7/20/08 12:05 PM ET - Total times edited: 1