Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Is there a problem with Club Communications?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
debs avatar
Book Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Subject: Is there a problem with Club Communications?
Date Posted: 9/5/2016 5:17 AM ET

Yesterday, I was expecting some email from PBS because I had set a forum post as "Watch this topic".  Nothing came.  By mid-afternoon, I checked the Club Communications area on my account, and lo and behold, there were 3 emails sent to me (one "Book has been mailed" and two "Watched topic reply") but none of those arrived in my Inbox.  Checked my Spam folder - nothing!  I don't have any filters on my email, and I do have two PBS-related contact names as suggested in the help (librarian@paperbackswap.com and noreply@paperbackswap.com).

This morning there are 5 Club Communications listed as having been mailed.  And this morning in my Inbox there are 3 emails from PBS - all 3 were "Watched topic" replies.  And all three arrived in my inbox at minimum twelve hours after posted at the PBS site.

Has anyone else had a problem with Club Communications?  Should I bring this to the attention ot TPTB?

Last Edited on: 9/5/16 5:18 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
debs avatar
Book Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 9/5/2016 6:32 AM ET

update:  as of just now, all of the missing-from-yesterday Club Communications have finallhy arrived in my Inbox, plus a new one this morning that came right away.  Maybe it was a temporary glitch in the system but so far it SEEMS to have resolved itself.

classicana avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Coordinator medalBook Data Coordinator medal
Date Posted: 9/5/2016 9:35 AM ET

Debbie, I was having a similar problem with a yahoo group where I'm a member.  I immediately was blaming Yahoo (of course!) - then it happened with mail from another source and realized it wasn't the sender(s), it was my email provider... 

All of my Club Communications have been in my inbox - in fact, that's where I usually see them first because I check email first thing each morning.  However, if you have no problems with any other mail, I'd let PBS know so they can check it out.

lovejaneeyre avatar
Date Posted: 9/5/2016 11:30 AM ET

I have yahoo and on Friday I got a wl offer for a CD but did not get the email until Saturday.

The other member mailed it and I got that email on Friday. So it's weird to see the wl offer email a day later.  

I was checking my SwapaCD account and that's where I saw the wl offer.  

Delayed emails has happened before.  We were having thunderstorms, maybe that was a factor.

Last Edited on: 9/5/16 11:31 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
Patouie avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Coordinator medalBook Data Approver medalTour Guide Asst. Coord. medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Cruise Attendee medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 9/5/2016 3:01 PM ET

An email is placed in the Club Communications folder when PBS sends it. If it doesn't show up in your in box for a while, it means your email provider -- Yahoo -- is delaying it. I've heard from other Yahoo users who recently had this issue.

debs avatar
Date Posted: 9/5/2016 3:07 PM ET

Very strange that it would just suddenly start happening. And then after a day, suddenly fix itself. Thanks for all the responses. Appreciate the input!

blakereese avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 9/7/2016 8:00 PM ET

I am not getting my emails ( I don't have a yahoo addy). I just happened to log into PBS to see if a book has a wish list and noticed that I have a request. This happened twice in the past week and at first I didn't think anything of it. There are times that I don't log into PBS for weeks at a time if I don't have any requests, so this worries me. I wouldn't want to miss wish list books or requests for books from me. Has this been looked into or is there anything I can do on my end? The most recent email that I didn't get was from last night.

Thanks!

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 9/8/2016 6:48 AM ET

http://www.paperbackswap.com/help/search.php?terms=not+getting+emails

These kinds of issues are almost always a result of something on the receiving end, not the sending end.

susank17 avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 9/8/2016 3:39 PM ET

Yes, for the first time in 9 years, I'm not getting PBS emails and I usually get dozens from watched topics.  I suspect the site is being identified as spam by Earthlink. (yes, I know, why am I still with them?)  Sent them a feedback memo.  We'll see what happens. 

I wouldn't be surprised if it is the result of those daily book marketing emails.  I'm going to see if I can turn them off.  Even I consider them spam.

lovejaneeyre avatar
Date Posted: 9/8/2016 4:05 PM ET

It's not just PBS emails.  An email about a title ready for pickup from my public library went to my junk folder.  It's weird because another one was sent that same day to remind me of Titles due on Friday.