Friend's Email: Subject:I have found a book that I think you would enjoy
Questions on Doctrine (Seventh-day Adventists Answer)
Questions on Doctrine - Seventh-day Adventists Answer Author:Seventh-day Adventist Leaders, Bible Teacher, and Editors AN EXPLANATION OF CERTAIN MAJOR ASPECTS OF SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST BELIEF — Prepared by a Representative Group of Seventh-day Adventist Leaders, Bible Teachers, and Editors — Copyright 1957 Review and Herald Publishing Association, Washington, D.C. — This book, Seventh-day Adventists Answer Questions On Doctrine was written to answer specific quest... more »ions asked by certain scholars and representatives of other Christian denominations as to what we believed on certain major doctrinal points. Thus it does not cover the full spectrum of SDA thought, but only those areas in which other Christians wanted explanation of things they had heard about our beliefs.
After lengthy visits between these representatives and leading scholars at General Conference headquarters, the responses to these questions were published in this book and distributed widely to SDA church members.
Soon after Questions On Doctrine came out, however, a retired SDA educator who had not been consulted on the book opposed it publicly on the grounds of his understanding of some of the things said about certain aspects of the sanctuary and the nature of the human nature of Christ. As a direct result of the controversy thus stirred up, the book was not reprinted and most persons have had no opportunity to examine it for themselves but are acquainted with it only through quotations and criticisms.
It is, however, still used and valued by many SDA scholars, educators, administrators, and pastors, as well as by those laymen fortunate enough to have a copy of their own, and we have had many requests to make it available to online readers. We believe that it will be especially valuable to any who wonder about some of the differences (or perceived differences) between SDA thought and that of other conservative Christians.
Questions On Doctrines has been reprinted (2002), keeping all original pages, but adding over 100 pages of historical information and analysis.
Table of Contents
Fundamental Beliefs of Seventh-day Adventists.
I. PRELIMINARY QUESTIONS
1. Doctrines We Share With Other Christians.
2. The Bible Only Rule of Faith and Practice
3. Seventh-day Adventist Relationship to Past
II. QUESTIONS ABOUT CHRIST
4. Deity and Eternal Pre-existence of Christ
5. Deity of Christ and Church Membership
6. The Incarnation and the "Son of Man"
7. The Bodily Resurrection of Christ
8. Christ, and Michael the Archangel
III. QUESTIONS ON THE RELATIONSHIP OF ELLEN G. WHITE'S
WRITINGS TO THE BIBLE
9. Ellen G. White's writings and Their Relation to
IV. QUESTIONS ON THE LAW AND LEGALISM
10. Christ the Heart of the Advent Message
11. The Basis and Fruitage of Christian Experience
12. The Ten Commandments, God's Standard of Conduct
13. Distinction Between the Decalogue and the
14. The Relationship of Grace to Law and Works
V. QUESTIONS ON THE SABBATH, SUNDAY, & THE MARK OF THE BEAST
15. The Foundation of Sabbath Observance
16. The Sabbath and The Moral Law
17. Saturday Observance a Valid Criterion
18. Historic Concept of the Mark of the Beast
19. When the Mark Will Be Received
20. Who Constitute the "Remnant Church"?
21. What Constitutes "Babylon"?
VI. QUESTIONS ON PROPHECY, DANIEL 8 & 9 AND THE 2300 DAYS
22. Basic Principles of Prophetic Interpretation
23. Christ Pre-eminent in Daniel 8 & 9
24. Problems Pertaining to Daniel 8
25. Relation of Seventy Weeks of Daniel 9 to 2300
Days of Daniel 8
26. The Seventieth Week of Daniel 9 & the Gap Theory
27. Scholarly Precedents for 1844 Ending of 2300
28. Antiochus Epiphanes and the Prophetic
Specification of Daniel
VII. QUESTIONS ON CHRIST AND HIS MINISTRY IN THE SANCTUARY
29. A Wider Concept of the Atonement
30. Sacrificial Atonement Provided: Sacrificial
31. Salvation Prefigured in the Sanctuary Service
32. The Heavenly Sanctuary-Figurative or Literal
33. The High-Priestly Ministry of Christ
34. The Meaning of Azazel
35. The Transaction With The Scapegoat
36. The Investigative Judgment in The Setting of
the Arminian Concept
VIII. QUESTIONS ON THE SECOND ADVENT AND THE MILLENNIUM
37. The Second Coming of Christ
38. Varied Concepts of The Millennium
39. Adventist Understanding of the Millennium
IX. QUESTIONS ON IMMORTALITY
40. Innate or Conditional Immortality
41. The Condition of Man in Death
42. The Punishment of The Wicked
43. The Rich Man and Lazarus
44. Champions of Conditional Immortality Span The
X. MISCELLANEOUS QUESTIONS
45. Intent of the Term "Everlasting Gospel"
46. Satan, Demons, and Angels
47. The Question of Unclean Foods
48. Adventist Relationship to World Missions Program