Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: RC help

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
bookbuggg avatar
Standard Member medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medal
Subject: RC help
Date Posted: 4/2/2017 1:09 PM ET

Hi,

I have a book that is hardcover but it doesn't have a dustcover, it's a graphc novel that does not have a dj. Here's her rc:

Books must not have been obviously mended. Hard covers must have their dust jackets.�

If I accept and PM her that this graphic novel never came with a dj,and she accepts this, can she rwap me later for having no dj?

I don't want to turn down rc's esp. one like this that would meet her conditions on the whole.

Thanks,

Michele

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 4/2/2017 3:24 PM ET

I would decline and in the reason section indicate the book was not published with a dust jacket. The requestor should remove the condition for this book. Should not be your issue.

bookbuggg avatar
Standard Member medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medal
Date Posted: 4/2/2017 3:27 PM ET

I'm a bit worried about rwap...

Patouie avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Coordinator medalBook Data Approver medalTour Guide Asst. Coord. medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Cruise Attendee medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 4/2/2017 8:29 PM ET

I agree with Mary. I would decline by clickiing that my book doesn't meet the Requestor Conditions, with an explanation of why. Then there's no worry about RWAP.

Momof2boys avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 4/3/2017 9:44 AM ET

Add me to the list of those who would decline. She states that HCs must have DJs. There is no exception or mention for those that never had one. Agree with Mary that if the requestor wants it they should remove the RC for that book.

bookbuggg avatar
Date Posted: 4/3/2017 10:02 AM ET

Thanks, I took everyones advice..Thank you Mary, Patty and Sheryl :-) I appreciate the help!

sarap avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 4/3/2017 1:31 PM ET

If you had PM'd and she accepted it, that's perfectly fine and would have been a very strong case not to refund a credit in case of a RWAP.

Just like books with writing, where the standard routine is to PM and get an answer before mailing.

I've had PM conversations many times about potential issues with a book, and never have I had any problems at all.

An unambiguous situation like yours is perfect for doing via PM, where it would be very difficult to somehow misunderstand what you are describing ... where sometimes describing an amount of writing can be more subjective.

I would have advised you to PM her and see what the answer was.

Nothing guarantees that you won't get a RWAP on any book you mail, regardless of RC and/or PMs, except not mailing. 

thameslink avatar
Friend of PBS-Double Diamond medal
Date Posted: 4/5/2017 7:16 AM ET

If I have to PM about an RC for clarification, then I automatically decline. In the past I used to try an clarify RCs such as this one and would rarely hear back in time and I was left hanging not knowing what to do. 

Momof2boys avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 4/5/2017 8:59 AM ET

If I have to PM about an RC for clarification, then I automatically decline.

Me too. RCs are supposed to be clear with no interpretations or PMs required. If it's a WL book, I can simply move on to the next wisher. If it's an order off my shelf and I don't get a reply to my PM, if I decline the request I now lose my place in FIFO, and I'm not willing to lose my place in line over an unclear RC.

sarap avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 4/5/2017 2:09 PM ET

I've found that people with RCs welcome the chance to clarify the RC (if needed) or otherwise have an opportunity to get a book that may meet the RC but it's a little unclear.

Doesn't take much time IMO  to write a short note.

People have been very appreciative, in my experience.