Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: RC turned down but member admits book is not postable

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Subject: RC turned down but member admits book is not postable
Date Posted: 9/9/2016 11:30 PM ET

I just got turned down for a book I requested, supposedly because of my RCs. However, the person who posted it said as the reason for declining the book is that it's an ARC copy. Since that isn't postable, should I tell the staff about it?

mistyks avatar
Limited Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 9/10/2016 6:57 AM ET

I wouldn't. I would give the member the benefit of the doubt here. The member did not send an unpostable book, so they have done nothing wrong. I have posted books on my shelf that were not postable, usually condition issues, that I didn't find until inspecting the book before accepting the request. I would guess that this member had this on her shelf, only to discover later that it was unpostable.

rebeccam avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 9/10/2016 7:43 AM ET

I just got turned down for a stain on the book. The poster obviously doesn't know the posting guidelines and the book will go to the next person in the wishlist line. Hopefully that member will RWAP it.

thameslink avatar
Friend of PBS-Double Diamond medal
Date Posted: 9/10/2016 10:02 AM ET

I agree with mistyks, they might not have noticed it was an ARC until after posting.

RockStarGirl avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 9/10/2016 10:34 AM ET

This happens to me a lot. My RC is no water damage, and I get turned down and told that their book only has a "little bit of water damage" or it just got "a little bit wet at the pool", as if that somehow makes it okay to post.

Cathy avatar
Cathy A. (Cathy) - ,
Date Posted: 9/10/2016 10:55 AM ET

I somewhat disagree with the other answers, and I think it would be reasonable to ask PBS to let the other member know they should delete this book from their shelf. Here's why.

If you have requestor conditions, then you do not get an email notification every time they are declined. Normally the request is just rolled over to the next person who has the book. You will only be notified when the last person who has a copy of the book is unable to send it to you. When that happens, the book is put on your reminder list, and you cannot add it to your wish list until that copy of the book is requested by someone else.

If you were declined for requestor conditions (i.e. the other member clicked "This book does not meet requestor's conditions") then the book went back on their shelf and you are stuck in a position where you cannot put it back on your wish list and wait for a new copy to be posted. Also, in this situation, you do not have a cancelled transaction in your Transaction Archive, so you cannot contact the other member directly and point out to them that they should remove this book.

If the other member declined by clicking "I Cannot Mail", then the book would have been removed from their shelf, you would be on the wish list, and you would have a cancelled transaction in your Transaction Archive. In that case, you wouldn't need to do anything as the system already took care of it for you.

So, what I would do is double check how exactly the transaction was cancelled, and if it was really for the requestor conditions, contact PBS and ask them to help get the other member to remove the book. You don't have to make it about punishing this other person for posting an ARC, just about helping you to get on the wish list for a copy of the book you want to read.

RockStarGirl avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 9/10/2016 1:19 PM ET

Last Edited on: 9/10/16 1:22 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 9/14/2016 2:55 AM ET

"The member did not send an unpostable book, so they have done nothing wrong."

Exactly!

I inspect my books but everyone can overlook something.

So, I often give my books a very careful "final inspection" before i send it out.

There HAVE been a few times I found something I didn't notice the first time.  Esp. if it is a lengthy book and then I find underlining or highlighting on ONE page somewhere.........

I see no reason at all to "report" this member? 

Also, sometimes things get hurt in storage.  I store my books offsite in a temperature-controlled setting, because my cabin in the woods where I live is somewhat off grid, and I don't want humidity to get to my books, so they are not stored at my cabin.  I also live on many acres in the woods, and critters have a habit of getting into things (spiders, etc. )   so all my books that I have set aside to swap I keep elsewhere so that they remain PRISTINE.  Sometimes, one gets "mashed" and it wasn't mashed when I put it into my book containers.  :)  So, then I can't mail it out..........and let the requestor know it is NOT POSTABLE.  

Last Edited on: 9/14/16 2:59 AM ET - Total times edited: 2