Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Contemporary Fiction

Topic: May Reading

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Subject: May Reading
Date Posted: 5/17/2012 12:06 PM ET

Just finished Turn of Mind but I didn't like it as well as Still Alice which I read for the challenge.  Just finished Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn, an ARC a friend sent me.  Think the title is inappropriate as the woman in the story is almost 40!  On the other hand the author may be referring to the Amazing Amy books which are no longer selling.  Has anyone else read this one?  I thought the author got caught up in too much detail but it was a good read at last.  Enjoyeds The Good Daughters by Joyce Maynard, an ARC I found here which I would be happy to send any contempory reader FREE with an order from my shelf.  Now into The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson for the challenge.

Last Edited on: 5/28/12 3:37 PM ET - Total times edited: 4
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 5/18/2012 2:25 PM ET

I liked both Turn of Mind and Still Alice--both have plots that are scary. I've never heard of the Amazing Amy books.

I finished Carlos Ruiz Zafon's The Angel's Game. It didn't keep me as enthralled as his Shadow of the Wind, but it was well worth reading.

Right now I'm immersed in Tom Perrota's Leftovers--love Perrota!

Rose

Cosmina avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 5/26/2012 11:01 AM ET

Just finished My Own Country by Abraham Verghese.  I have admired the great writing and interesting stories of his books.  The Tennis Partner and  My Own Country are really fine memoirs. Both made me cry alittle.   I am ready to start his first fiction book, Cutting for Stone.

Cosmina avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 5/30/2012 10:24 PM ET

Just finished The Sari Shop Widow by Shobhan Bantwal.  I give it 3.75 stars.  I enjoyed the characters around the main character.