Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: received with problem; sender requesting book return

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Subject: received with problem; sender requesting book return
Date Posted: 9/26/2017 11:11 PM ET

I know I've read answers to this question before but couldn't find one tonight.

Today I received a book with liquid damage at the bottom of the covers and pages throughout the book.  I marked it "received with problem" and promptly received the return of my credit.  I also, however, got the following request from the sender:  I'm sorry the book is not acceptable, please return it. I had a friend ask after it a day or two after I sent it. Thank you, (name).

I know I'm not under obligation to return the book and I think I remember that it's customary for the sender to provide postage or money sufficient to cover the return of the book if I'm willing to send it back.  Is my memory correct on this?

Ginnie

Date Posted: 9/26/2017 11:37 PM ET

Yes, you are correct; you can ask them to give you another credit or other payment to cover the cost of returning it to them.

Date Posted: 9/27/2017 7:35 AM ET

I agree. another credit or postage fees. You are under no obligation to return book without being reimbursed for your costs.

Date Posted: 9/27/2017 7:45 AM ET

look through the help pages and this situation is covered there. You might copy the info in the help pages and send it in a message. This would help the other member to learn how the club works.

Date Posted: 9/27/2017 8:24 AM ET

I recently ran into the same problem. Even though I have an RC that say no water damage, I received a book that looked like it had been placed in a puddle. I had to send the girl pictures because she denied it, and then she still wanted her book back. This is what I sent her to get my credit back:

I can return the book to you but I will need an additional credit to cover the cost of return postage or you can send me a SASE and I can send it back that way. Let me know which you would prefer.

From the Help Section:

Remember that the requestor is not required to send a problem book back at his or her expense. The sender of a problem book does risk losing credit, book and postage; this is the incentive not to send problem books.
If you want a problem book back you can provide a stamped, self-addressed envelope to the requestor by snail mail (or you can give the requestor an extra Book Credit to compensate for postage, if both of you agree on that).
Refund and postage compensation must be completed first - before the requestor returns the book (= it is not OK to wait to refund credit until getting a problem book back in the mail, or to expect the requestor to send the book back before getting postage compensation as described above).

Date Posted: 9/27/2017 10:06 AM ET

Amanda's message to the sender is perfect. You also need to let the sender know that they have until whatever date to return the credit or the book will be recycled in the right place.

Date Posted: 9/27/2017 10:30 AM ET

Thanks, everyone!  I had looked through the help topics but couldn't find the relevant information about return requests.

Ginnie

Date Posted: 9/27/2017 8:08 PM ET

It's kind of hard to find. I think I found it by searching something like "someone says I sent them a damaged book" or something similar to that.