Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Health & Fitness Forum Health & Fitness Forum

Topic: recent colonoscopy anyone?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
IlliniAlum83 avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal
Subject: recent colonoscopy anyone?
Date Posted: 6/26/2012 5:54 PM ET

What's up with the new procedure of sedating you and having to fast for 36 hours before a colonoscopy nowadays?  I had 4 of them between 1987 and 2005 and the prep was nothing like it is now. I'm miserable getting ready for mine tomorrow--------

-SAN avatar
Date Posted: 6/27/2012 3:59 AM ET

I had my first one recently, and found the prep was far more difficult than the actual test. I had to follow a strict no fiber diet for 2 days, then a clear liquid diet only while drinking a huge amount of liquid they provided. They sent a gallon sized bottle with powder in it, and I had to add the water. There were flavour packets included, but it didn't do much to improve the taste.

I was concerned about doing this, because I am a type 2 diabetic. Fortunately, I was fine, but I was pretty uncomfortable of course. The fasting part was the hardest for me; not a good thing for a diabetic to do. I was relieved to get there to start the prep for the dang procedure; was treated very well and wasnt nervous at all. I did have a problem with being given a glucose drip; my glucose level was 178, and I didn't need the drip, but it was either that or no test. [normal glucose is 80-85.]

I didn't fall asleep during the test, but didn't feel anything either. I wanted to look at the screen, but forgot about that, lol! I was thinking about buying flowers to plant instead, and about what I would eat on the way home, because I was hungry as hell.

I don't need another one for 10 years! VERY happy about that, as that prep was awful. I followed it to the letter, though.

Mr. San had one of these tests years ago, and he said he remembers being given something to mix in a large bottle of Gatorade to drink, but he didn't have the no fiber diet or anything, at least not that he remembers. Maybe things have changed because they get more accurate images or something?

It ws very hard to do though. Am glad I don't have to repeat it for 10 years.

IlliniAlum83 avatar
Date Posted: 6/27/2012 3:08 PM ET

ughhh, due to them finding polyps, I have to repeat the test in 3 years!

And the answer they gave me about why they totally knock you out now  with an IV drip and put you on oxygen with EKG leads is because of the MICHAEL JACKSON case!  They have to do continual monitoring for ALL procedures now because his doctor didn't-----Yep, they're afraid of  being sued!

okbye avatar
Barb S. (okbye) - ,
Date Posted: 6/27/2012 3:15 PM ET

My last one was 5 years ago but I've had several because of my intestinal problems and different doctors ask for different preps. I just do what I know works for me regardless of what they say. I would not go 36 hours without solid food, get a different doctor. I've never had a glucose drop either, that was foolish for them to give you that under those circumstances. They should have known better and you should have insisted they don't! 178 isn't outrageous but they had no valid reason to give you the drip either. I would get a new doctor for that too. You have to stand up for yourself when you know something is wrong, doctors are not gods and they don't always do the right thing. You do not have to do everything they say, especially when you know it's wrong for you. 

I usually go out briefly, kind of like the twilight sleep from the dentist. I may not be out cold but I don't remember it either. Sometimes brief flashes of images. I wanted to watch too but I only got a short glimpse before I was too dozy. And they may do an IV but it's saline, like IVs usually are. 

Last Edited on: 6/27/12 3:19 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
-SAN avatar
Date Posted: 6/27/2012 5:37 PM ET

In my case, it was get the glucose drip, or no test. After all that prep, I was not willing to pass on getting the procedure. I genuinely think hospitals don't know much about diabetes.

I wasn't put completely under either. I agree that different places have different requirements for prep and procedures...whatever they gave me was lovely, lol. After I got home, I went to bed for several hours and slept like a baby.

Who knows? Maybe in 10 years, the test prep will be completely different than what I experienced this first time. We can always hope it will be easier.

VOSTROMO avatar
Member of the Month medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 8/1/2012 12:52 PM ET

No, but thanks!

rebeccam avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 9/13/2012 6:22 PM ET

When I had my second one in July, I was given propofol. I went to an endoscopy center and not a hospital this time. It looked like they were injecting me with white paint but I was asleep pretty quick. I did have an anesthesiologist as they were very careful using this drug.  I was on oxygen both times but this time they also monitored my vitals every three minutes. Afterwards they woke me up instead of letting me wake up on my own. Then basically kicked me out of there for the bed. 30 minutes later the propofol had worn off so I wished they let me stay longer.

With my first, the prep was pills and drinking a lot of water. I found it awful. This time I got liquid. It was 16 ounces in the morning and 16 ounces in the afternoon. I had to drink 32 ounces of water with each stage as well. I had an easier time with this prep.  

I wonder how the prep and procedure will be for my next one in five years. The procedure and prep is still better than going through cancer treatments.

miamirn avatar
Limited Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 1/7/2013 10:49 PM ET

I just had my colonoscopy. They used Propofol. It's the same drug Michael Jackson died on. It's hospital protocol and it's for the patient's safety that they monitor your heart and breathing with and EKG. The hospitals also use IV's as a safety precaution. It's always been hospital protocol to use these precautions when they put you under general anesthesia, it's not because they are afraid of being sued. It's just plain malpractice to use Propofol without these procautions and stupid to use Propofol at a person's private residence. Michael Jackson's doctor could have at least had an emergency crash card on hand. As far as I'm concerned he should be serviing life without parole. I guess you can tell I'm upset at this doctor.

IlliniAlum83 avatar
Date Posted: 1/15/2013 12:17 PM ET

Hubby is going to have his first one soon-- he's hates doctoring and medicine so this is NOT going to be pleasant!

Generic Profile avatar
Subject: Re: colonoscopy procedures
Date Posted: 2/19/2013 3:35 PM ET

I've had 3 different MDs perform colonoscopies on me. Each one had their own pre-op procedure. While, I've never had to fast, I have had to eat/drink only clear liquids, such as broths, the day before the procedure. Along with the bowel prep to clean out the bowel, this gives the MD the best view of the colon so he/she can find any abnormal growths or other situations.

I have no idea why they would want you to fast but the modified eating plan makes sense. We (hubby and I) always make a pot of Ultra Broth to eat/drink before the procedure. The recipe comes for Dr. Mark Hyman. It tastes good, has lots of nutrients, and does a pretty good job of making you feel full.