Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Hidden Gems Hidden Gems

Topic: Recommendations for Book Clubs

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Subject: Recommendations for Book Clubs
Date Posted: 2/6/2009 6:54 AM ET

What are you suggestions for book club selections?  I just read a wonderful book, Sarah's Key, by Tatiana deRosnay, about a young girl who survives the Holocaust in France and a woman who, years later, traces her story.  It would be great fodder for a book club discussion and I devoured every page!

lambkins avatar
Date Posted: 2/6/2009 7:58 AM ET

I'm invovled in a book club and last months discussion was Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons by Lorna Landvik.  It was a good book and led to great discussion.  The copy I used had a group discussion guide in the back with questions for a group.  I would definitley recommend it.

ShaylaB avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 2/6/2009 5:34 PM ET

Here are some of the books we have discussed in the past:

Nineteen Minutes & My Sister's Keeper both by Jodi Picoult, 

Family Album by Dani Shapiro, 

Can You Keep a Secret?  by Sophie Kinsella, 

Like Dandelion Dust by Karen Kingsbury,  

A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson is our next one, 

Night Fall by Nelson DeMille,

Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah, 

Good Harbor by Anita Diamant, 

The Kindness of Strangers by Katrina Kittle is coming up soon.

Those are just a few of what we've read that I can think of off the top of my head. 

LaurieAnne avatar
Date Posted: 2/7/2009 9:13 AM ET

Try The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson, The Sunflower: A Novel by Richard Paul Evans or if you want a classic, My Antonia by Willa Cather is a good one.

lambkins avatar
Date Posted: 2/10/2009 8:01 PM ET

I just started a book for the book club that I'm in.  It's Confessions of a Shopaholic, by Sophia Kingsley.   I wouldn't have picked this book, but boy am I glad someone else did!  I'm really liking it!  It's funny and entertaining.  I actually just ordered the second book. 

That's one thing that I love about book clubs, that you find books that you really love through the suggestions of others.  Books you would never have read, or ones that you think aren't your genre.  It's amazing what you end up liking.  You find out so much more about yourself even.

lambkins avatar
Date Posted: 2/10/2009 8:02 PM ET

I'm sorry, I just checked my book and the author is Sophie Kinsella.

VintageNana avatar
Subject: Suggested Book?
Date Posted: 4/5/2009 3:07 AM ET

Could anyone suggest a title or author for a book I could suggest to my book-club.  It can't contain any sex, swear words, or the occult.  A good mystery, romance or even " the world is coming to an end" type? Any suggestiong would be appreciated.

Denise :}

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 4/5/2009 8:14 AM ET

That's a mighty tall order.  When you say no sex, how literal are you with that?  The only idea I could come up with was A Garden to Keep by Jamie Langston Turner.  We read that one years ago in our book club.  I think there may be sex in it, but it is within a marriage and I think this is considered a 'Christian" fiction book.  We also read Some Wildflower in my Heart.  Same author.   I remember enjoying the books although it has been many years since I read them.  I have a copy of A Garden to Keep on my shelf & it is in Excellent condition.  I'd be willing to offer you a 3 for 1 deal if you order it.  Maybe if you read it ahead of time you would feel more comfortable recommending it.

Hope you have success finding something.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 4/5/2009 9:03 PM ET

I just finished the pilot's wife by anita shreve (which was on one of oprah's book club lists) and also Shopaholic ties the knot by Sophie Kinsella. Both books were wonderful in different ways. I have both books on my shelf, and I ive in a smoke and pet free home.

VintageNana avatar
Date Posted: 4/5/2009 11:12 PM ET

Thank you for the suggestions.  I'm not the one with the problems with sex, language or other stuff.  We have a couple ladies in our group who get upset with THAT stuff.  It's hard to choose books that will not send them over the edge into a dead faint.  I have been reading about Cozy Books...they seem pretty tame.  They might work for our ladies.

Thanks,

Denise :}

CozSnShine avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPBS Cruise Attendee medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 4/5/2009 11:51 PM ET

Denise, any of the really good Christian authors.  Karen Kingsbury is just one.    Thoene is another as is Will Cramer.  All great books that meet your conditions.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 4/6/2009 6:51 AM ET

Denise,

I am curious about how the discussions go in your book club?  It seems that the tamer the book, the less discussion.  We have found in our book club (which has been meeting for over 10 years!) that we really must have dysfunction or issues of some sort or we just don't discuss the book.  It's not that we go for the completely bizarre or anything.  We are currently reading The Rope Walk by Carrie Brown, a recent hit was Water for Elephants.  Anyway, just interested.

Yellowdogs1 avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Cruise Attendee medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 4/6/2009 9:00 PM ET

I just finished a book by a Christian author that would be a great book club book. It has lots to fule good discussion.   When Crickets Cry by Charles Martin.

CozSnShine avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPBS Cruise Attendee medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 4/6/2009 9:14 PM ET

Many of the Christian books have very hard hitting issues.   Some are also very complex.  The Bodie Thoene series I like has to do with people in Europe before and during WW2 and the stuggle many went through at that time.  VERY dramatic - great historical novels.  Any of them would make good book club selections.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 4/7/2009 10:26 AM ET

I'm a new member would someone explain the  "3 for 1"  mentioned above.  Does that mean paying 3 points for a book instead of one?  How does that work ?

harmony85 avatar
Date Posted: 4/7/2009 11:26 AM ET

Vintage Nana-check out "The Lost Garden" by Helen Humphreys or "The Blue Bottle Club" by Penelope Stokes.  Gentle reads, a bit of romance, but as far as I can remember no swearing, violence, or sex as I can recall.  "The Blue Bottle Club" might be a bit on the inspirational/Christian side but is not preachy-just a good story.  I don't read mysteries, sorry I can't help you there!

Stephanie-"Windchill Summer" by Norris Church Mailer is one of my all-time favorite books.  Another of my faves is "Downtown" by Anner Rivers Siddons, or a book I just read called "Once Upon A Day" by Lisa Tucker-IMO any Lisa Tucker book would be good for a book club. 

Check them out, ladies, and see what you think. 

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 4/7/2009 5:20 PM ET

Carolyn,

It means you get 3 books for the price of 1 credit.  Just order the one book from the member's shelf the regular way &  PM them with the two you are requesting as freebies.  Don't order all 3 straight from the shelf or you will be charged 3 credits.  you will find lots of deals like that in the book bazaar. 

Hope that helps,

Nancy J.

hannahthelibrarian avatar
Date Posted: 4/8/2009 8:01 PM ET

One World: The Ethics of Globalization by Peter Singer. It really explores climate change and global poverty and a bunch of other issues. It makes you think and is a great book for the world we live in.