Red beans and rice
||3 / 10
2 tablespoons - bacon grease
1 tablespoon - cracked black pepper
1 lb - cubed pickled pork
12 oz - mushrooms, canned ok
1 - sweet onion
2 lbs - dry red beans
- Soak the dry red beans overnight.
- Early the next morning, drain the red beans and rinse. Transfer to crock pot with 2 cups of hot water and turn on high.
- Dice and sautee the onion, then add to crock pot.
- Slice and add mushrooms to crock pot.
- Add pickled pork, cracked black pepper, bacon grease, and cyanne pepper to the crock pot.
- Cook on high for at least 8 hours.
- Serve over white rice.
Be careful not to add too much cyanne pepper, or the beans will end up tasting like chili.
Gumbo file may be added to provide a more "mello" flavor.
Cooking times vary by crock pot.
Have hot sauce on hand for a condiment.
Monday is the traditional day for Red Beans and Rice, because Monday was laundry day, and it was easy to add a pot of beans to the fire next to the laundry water.