Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Redirects

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
rxtheresa avatar
Subject: Redirects
Date Posted: 12/20/2016 2:28 PM ET

I know this isn't PBSs fault as I must have picked up malware somehow but I'm having the problem of getting redirects on every PBS link with Firefox,Chrome and Edge.  I have done all recommendations, run deep cleaning antivirus, registry cleaner, installed and run all recommended antiMalware programs.  The Firefox and Stopzilla antiredirects give you a popup telling you the redirect has been prevented and you still have to go back to the link and try again.  Usually I get the correct link on the second try.  It is so frustrating and time wasting.  I have the problem much more on PBS than anywhere else maybe because it has so many links you have to click on.  Anyone have any success in fixing this problem?  I really don't want to wipe my hard drive or get a new computer.

ETA:  I just read Vostromo's postings on another thread and think it is my router.  It seems Netgear is aware and is planning to provide some firmware updates.  For anyone else with Netgear routers here is the link. 

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/netgear-expands-list-of-vulnerable-routers-starts-issuing-firmware-updates/

Thanks Vostromo!

Last Edited on: 12/20/16 6:42 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
classicana avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Coordinator medalBook Data Coordinator medal
Date Posted: 12/20/2016 9:14 PM ET

Thanks for the info, Theresa.  I'm not currently having any problems, but I do have a Netgear router so I guess I'd better check out the model and all that.

I hope new firmware will solve the problem for you!

rxtheresa avatar
Date Posted: 12/29/2016 5:03 PM ET

Well I thought that fixed it but I'm still getting them with every link on PBS.  Today I got a XXX redirect which was disgusting. 

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 12/29/2016 8:25 PM ET

I'm getting them on my iPad.  No problem on the PC, but it won't open with Safari.  I wish I knew why, there shouldn't be any reason for redirects at all.

fangrrl avatar
Member of the Month medal
Date Posted: 12/30/2016 12:58 PM ET

I'm NO expert, but did you check to see if any software had been downloaded on your computer?  The time I had this problem, there was something listed with the rest of my (legitimate) software.  When I removed it, the problem was gone.  Been quite awhile and may not be the same, but wouldn't hurt to check.

rxtheresa avatar
Date Posted: 12/31/2016 5:09 PM ET

JoAnne I'm wondering about Candy Crush.  I play it on my PC but not ipad or phone.  Do you happen to play Candy Crush on your ipad but not PC?  The reason I wonder is the antimalware program picks up some malware files in Candy Crush.  Man I sure hope it isn't that.  I'm on level 265 and am enjoying it.

Denise, I couldn't find any illegitimate software but am wondering about Candy Crush as mentioned above.

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 1/2/2017 9:18 PM ET

I don't play games, so it's not that.  It's a new iPad Pro, so is clean (Christmas gift).  I don't have any problems with other sites at all, just opening on Safari.  I can open it in Chrome on iPad (where I am now).  I use Safari for all websites and this is the only one that won't open due to "too many redirects".   Besides, there are really no known viruses for iPads.  

Cathy avatar
Cathy A. (Cathy) - ,
Date Posted: 1/3/2017 12:46 PM ET

For problems in Safari, try this: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203370

Also, make sure the date and time on your iPad are set correctly.